Article explains Deduction we use to forget while computing taxable income which includes Medical treatment of specified ailments under section 80DDB, Deduction for Medical treatment of dependent – Section 80DD, Charitable deductions under section 80G, Deductions under section 80GG in respect of rent paid  , Foreign taxes paid, Deduction under section 80U for Person with disability, Interest on loan taken for Home improvement, Allowance for daily expenses, Profit on sale of property used for residence, Tuition fee paid for the education of children- Section 80C and Interest on loan taken for higher education – Section 80E.

Medical treatment of specified ailments under section 80DDB

Deductions of expenses on medical treatment of specified ailments (such as AIDS, cancer and neurological diseases) can be claimed under Section 80DDB. The maximum amount of deduction allowed from gross total income is restricted to Rs 40,000. In case of senior citizen the deduction goes upto Rs 60,000 (wef A.Y 2019-20 the maximum amount of deduction will be Rs 100,000. Further in case of super senior citizen the maximum amount of deduction from A.y 2016-17 to A.y 2018-19 will be Rs 80,000 and from A.Y 2019-20 the maximum limit will be Rs 1,00,000 on condition that no medical reimbursement is received from any insurance company or employer for this amount.

In order to claim this deduction, however, you will have to submit Form 10-1 from a specialist doctor working in a government hospital in India, confirming the treatment of the disease.

Taxable Income

Deduction for Medical treatment of dependent – Section 80DD

Under Section 80DD of the Act, where an individual has incurred expenditure for the medical treatment, training and rehabilitation of a dependent, being a person with disability or has paid or deposited any amount under prescribed scheme for the maintenance of dependent, such individual will be allowed a deduction to the extent of Rs 75,000. However, if the dependent is suffering from severe disability, a deduction of Rs 125,000 will be allowed.

Charitable deductions under section 80G

Deduction is also available under Section 80G of the I-T Act in respect of donations made by an individual to certain funds, charitable institutions and so on. There is no restriction on the amount of charity.  The rate of deduction, however, is either 50 or 100 per cent, depending on the choice of trust. Also, donations must be made to registered institutions only.

Deductions under section 80GG in respect of rent paid 

Deduction to the extent of Rs 5,000 per month or 25 per cent of total income or the excess of actual rent paid over 10 per cent of total income (whichever is less) is available under Section 80GG of the I-T Act in respect of rent paid by an individual on his accommodation, provided the individual does not get any house rent allowance.

Foreign taxes paid

Foreign Tax Credits may be claimed by an individual in respect of doubly-taxed income which is taxed in India as well as in a foreign country provided the conditions as prescribed under the Double Taxation Avoidance Agreement between India and the foreign country are satisfied. Even if there is no Double Taxation Avoidance Agreement between India and the foreign country, credits may also be claimed under the Act, subject to specified conditions.

Deduction under section 80U for Person with disability

Under Section 80U of the Act, an individual who is certified by the prescribed medical authority to be a person with disability shall be allowed a deduction of Rs 75,000 (Rs 50,000 upto A.y 2015-16) and an individual, who is certified as a person with severe disability, shall be allowed a deduction of Rs 1,25,000.( Rs 1,00,000 upto A.y 2015-16)

Interest on loan taken for Home improvement

Expenditure incurred by an individual on repair and maintenance of house property and interest paid on loan taken for such repairs and maintenance of house property are allowed as deduction while computing income from house property. Thus, if you have gone for any home improvement project, don’t forget to make your claim.

Allowance for daily expenses

Allowance for daily expenses are exempt from tax under Section 10(14)(i) of the Act read with Rule 2BB(1)(b) of the Income-Tax Rules, 1962, if the same are actually incurred on ordinary daily charges while the employee is on tour and absent from his normal place of duty.

Profit on sale of property used for residence

It would also help to remember that capital gains arising from the transfer of residential property is exempt from tax in the hands of individual under Section 54 of the Act to the extent “expenditure is incurred on the purchase of another residential house within a period of one year before or two years after the date of transfer or expenditure is incurred on construction of a house property within a period of three years after the date of transfer.

Tuition fee paid for the education of children- Section 80C

Believe it or not, but many taxpayers often forget to claim deduction in respect of the tuition fee paid for the education of their children. Deduction, however, is available to an individual under Section 80C of the I-T Act in respect of tuition fees (excluding any payment towards any development fees or donation or payment of similar nature), whether paid at the time of admission or thereafter to any university, college, school or other educational institution situated within India for the purpose of full-time education of any of the children of the individual.

Interest on loan taken for higher education – Section 80E

Taxpayers also tend to forget that the interest paid on an education loan taken for higher studies qualifies for deduction under Section 80E of the I-T Act. Also, effective April 1, 2008, the said deduction is also available where the loan is taken for the purpose of higher education of spouse or children of the individual or the student for whom the individual is a legal guardian. Thus, if you have taken a loan for higher education, don’t forget to make your claim. Also remember that the deduction benefit on interest is allowed for maximum eight years, or till the interest is fully paid.

(Republished with Amendments)

Author Bio

More Under Income Tax


  1. Tereza Dsouza says:

    I am a central govt employee since 1982. I am paying inome tax regularly. I want to know that I am not a professional sportswomen but participating in many paid (registration fees) marathons. Some of the events in the age category of 51 and above I am Winner where sometimes I got cash award. Is this cash money is taxable???? and what about my registration amount for these events.

  2. Toms Abraham says:

    Dear Sir,
    1. Is the deduction related to presumptive health check-up amounting to Rs. 5,000 still in force for the financial year 2017-18?
    2. Any admission fees (lumpsum) paid during the initial time when the child is admitted to the school is allowed as deduction u/s 80C?

  3. Vijay Kumar Dadoo says:

    I am 74+ male. I have suffered mild heart attack in 2008, therefore considering me to be high risk patient, I am denied Health Insurance.
    At this age and the further rising age, I am not covered and will be required to meet all my Medical expenses myself.
    Am I entitled to deduction of medical bills of the expenses incurred on my Medical Treatment, regular medicines (Around Rs. 2000/- per month). Kindly guide me, giving details. I request you to kindly post details on my e mail id [email protected] also/VKD/9412070828

  4. T Kumar says:

    I am retired from CPSU in Oct. 2013. I am a member of company’s Post Retirement Medical Scheme and availing medical benefits. I would like to know whether there is a ceiling for the same or fully exempted from tax.

  5. rugram says:

    Section 80 G deduction for donations made: There is an upper limit up to which a person can claim a deduction under this Section. It is 10% of the (taxable) income before deductions under Chapter VI, irrespective of whether the donations made are eligible for 50% deduction or 100% deduction.
    However, in respect of certain donations made (such as to the Prime Minister’s National Relief Fund and other notified funds), the entire amount of donation made (subject to the % deduction specified, if any, for each of such schemes)is permitted to be claimed as a deduction from the total income without limit.
    There are also certain requirements such as obtaining a receipt for the donations made, tax exemption certificates to be obtained from the Institutions concerned, mention of PAN no. of the donor on the receipt, etc. Further, donations made in kind are not allowed to be deducted under this section.

  6. Jaycee Khurana says:

    Dear Sir, Please help me on three queries. I purchased a re-sale flat in year 2009 (80% funded by bank and 20% borrowed from friends and reletives). In that financial year, I claimed excemption towards pre-emi, interest & principal. However, did not claim excemption towards home improvement and stamp duty which was done by borrowed money. Can I claim this now? In current year, I returned part of borrowed money to my relatives – can an excemption be claimed? I took a top-up loan on same property in year 2012 for home improvement but did not claim any excemption so far. Can I claim any excemption on the same? Thanks a lot.

  7. Amit Verma says:

    Sir Kindly clear me If a person taking loan for construction of house of ground floor only and after completing the ground floor of house within 3 years he is eligible for claiming deduction kindly tell me if he is taking loan again for first floor construction how much he can claim on this second loan and how much on first loan

  8. RAKESH says:

    Tutition FEES paid = Rs.65000/-
    Tuition Fees Reimbursement= Rs.2400/
    How much amount should get rebate from income tax?

    Is Tuition Fees taxable not not?

  9. Gunjan Manglani says:

    My son, dependent on me as per income tax act has hermatology disease named Thalassaemia. We incur monthly expenses as below
    Purchasing blood costing : Rs.1400
    Blood transfusion fees : Rs.200
    Purchase of injections : Rs.2000
    I have all the above bills and i can also provide the Form 10I by doctor from govt hospital having DM degree in hermatology.

    Question: Will i get the above deduction of Rs.3600 every month if i submit the bills and certificate from doctor?
    Pls reply on my mail [email protected]

  10. Ravindra says:

    Res Sir,

    I have sold gold, some of which was purchased by my mother and rest was gifted to my wife in our marrage. I do not know the purchase price. how to calculate capital gains tax? What is the Fairmarket value of gold? Please guide.

    Thanking You,

    Ravindra Chaudhari

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Search Posts by Date

March 2021