The Central Government had launched Employees’ Pension Scheme, 1995 in exercise of the powers conferred by Section 6A of the Employees’ Provident Funds and Miscellaneous Provisions Act, 1952 (19 of 1952). The EPS’95 scheme applies to all the employees of factories and other establishments to which the Employees Provident Funds and Miscellaneous Provisions Act, 1952 applies. Employee Pension Scheme (EPS) came into force on 16th November 1995.
The government has, for the first time, started providing a minimum pension of Rs 1,000 per month to the pensioners under EPS, 1995 from September 1, 2014 by providing additional budgetary support keeping the widespread demands although there is no provision in the Scheme for budgetary support
1. EPFO has certain benefits, which are payable to orphans as per the EPS 95 scheme as mentioned below in brief.
2. Benefit provided in case of death of an employee, who was a member of the scheme at the time of death – Benefit amount 20 times of the wages. Maximum benefit of 6 lakh.
3. Pension to nominee for entire life paid on death of member, in case there is no family, as defined under EPS’ 95.
4. In case a member is not able to remain in service for 10 years before attaining the age of 58 years, he can withdraw the complete sum at the age of 58 years. It is worth mentioning here that he will not get the monthly pension benefits after retirement.
5. Lifelong pension equal to monthly widow pension paid to dependent father or mother on death of member, provided there is no family or nominee of member.
Note: In case of any details and query, the EPFO members can login to the official website of EPFO at www.epfindia.gov.in
Latest News: The RSS-affiliate trade union Bhartiya Mazdoor Sangh has urged the government to increase the minimum pension under the Employees Pension Scheme, 1995 to Rs 5,000 a month and link the Ayushman Bharat medical schemes to all EPS-95 pensioners while exempting senior citizens from income tax. The current minimum monthly pension under the EPS 95 is Rs 1,000.
“Ayushman Bharat medical scheme should be extended all EPS 95 pensioners and any hike in minimum pension in EPS 95 should be universal hike to all 65 lakh pensioners,” it said.
Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to avoid errors or omissions in this material. In spite of this, errors may creep in. Any mistake, error or discrepancy noted may be brought to our notice which shall be taken care of in the next edition. In no event the author shall be liable for any direct, indirect, special or incidental damage resulting from or arising out of or in connection with the use of this information.