Securities and Exchange Board of India
Communication Division, SEBI Bhavan, Bandra Kurla Complex, Bandra (E), Mumbai-400051 Tel:- 91-22-26449000/ e-mail: [email protected]/ website: www.sebi.gov.in
Securities and Exchange Board of India (Prohibition of Insider Trading) Regulations, 2015 (PIT Regulations) was amended, vide notification dated September 17, 2019, by inserting a new chapter (IIIA) dealing with informant policy in relation to insider trading laws. The amendments introduced therein will come into force with effect from December 26, 2019.
The salient features of the informant policy are as follows:
1. Office of Informant Protection (‘OIP’): OIP has been established by SEBI as an independent office for receiving and processing Voluntarily Information Disclosure Form(s) (VID Form).
2. Submission of information: An informant may voluntarily submit original information pertaining to any violation of insider trading laws to the OIP, through a VID Form. The information may be submitted by the informant directly in which case his identity would be required to be revealed at the time of submission of the VID Form. In case, the information is submitted through a legal representative, the identity of the informant is not required to be revealed at the time of submission of VID Form. However, the identity of the informant would be required to be revealed prior to payment of Reward, if any.
3. Reward: Reward would be given in case the information provided leads to a disgorgement of at least Rupees one crore, in accordance with the PIT Regulations.
4. Confidentiality of Informant: The confidentiality regarding the identity of the informant would be protected through the OIP.
5. Protection against victimization: Every person required to have a Code of Conduct under PIT regulations shall ensure that such a Code of Conduct provides for suitable protection against any discharge, termination, demotion, suspension, threats, harassment, directly or indirectly or discrimination against any employee who files a VID Form.
VID Forms will be available for downloading on the website of SEBI (www.sebi.gov.in) from December 26, 2019 under the ‘Office of Informant
Protection’ link. The filled up VID Form(s) may be submitted to OIP on the address displayed on the download page in a sealed envelope. An online mechanism to submit VID Forms may be operational in due course.
OIP also maintains a helpline no. 022 26449580 for providing information relating to submission of VID Forms.
December 24, 2019