New Delhi, the 23rd December, 2016

G.S.R.1171 (E).In exercise of the powers conferred by section 24 of the Passports Act, 1967 (15 of 1967), the Central Government hereby makes the following rules further to amend the Passport Rules, 1980, namely:-

(1) These rules may be called the Passport (Amendment) Rules, 2016.

(2) They shall come into force on the date of their publication in the Official Gazette.

2. In the Passport Rules, 1980 (herein after referred to as the said rules), in Schedule III:-

(i) Under “(A) Passports”, for the sub-heading “For Adopted Children” and the entries relating thereto, the following shall be substituted, namely:-

For Adopted Children:

In case of In-country (domestically) adopted children the following documents are required to be furnished:

The deed of adoption which may either be Notarized or Registered, confirming/detailing the adoption of applicant by the adoptive parents(s) from the biological parent(s). In case, the applicant is not having any kind of deed to confirm the adoption and the situation is so that the same also cannot be executed at this point of time due to death of biological/adoptive parents or any other reason, whatsoever it may be, the applicant may give a declaration on a plain paper confirming the adoption.”

(ii) under “(B) CHANGE OF NAME” and the entries relating thereto, the following shall be substituted, namely:-


(I) Following marriage, remarriage or divorce:

(a) An applicant applying for re-issue of passport for incorporation of the name of his/her spouse;

(b) A woman applying for change of name/surname in existing passport due to marriage;

(c) Divorcees applying for change of name OR for deletion of spouse’s name in existing passport;

(d) Re-married applicants applying for change of name/spouse’s name in passport.

Except the details provided by the applicant (of any category mentioned above) in the application form, no proof of marriage/dissolution of marriage (court’s order for judicial separation/decree of divorce) etc. is required.”

(II) In other circumstances for change of name, the applicant (both male and female) should furnish:

(i) clippings of two local news papers or the Gazette notification of the concerned State Government, as the case may be;

(ii) at least two public/school documents issued in the desired/ applied changed name to ascertain that the applicant has actually changed his name.

3. In the said rules, in Schedule III, in Section V, for Annexures ‘A’, ‘B’, ‘C’, ‘D’, ‘E’, ‘F’, ‘G’, ‘H’, ‘I’, ‘J’, ‘K’, ‘L’ and ‘M’, and the entries relating thereto, the following Annexures and entries relating thereto shall be substituted, namely:-


More Under Corporate Law

Posted Under

Category : Corporate Law (4041)
Type : Notifications (15924) Notifications/Circulars (32209)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Featured Posts