Form GST DRC-03 now available on GST Portal for making voluntary payments by a taxpayer
Form DRC-03 enables a taxpayer to make voluntary payments, before issue of notice u/s 73 or 74 of the CGST Act, 2017 or within 30 days of issue of show cause notice (SCN). Facility to intimate payment made voluntarily or made against SCN has now been enabled on GST Portal (refer Rule 142(2) S. Rule 142(3) of the CGST Rules, 2017).
FORM GST DRC- 03 is for Intimation of payment made voluntarily or made against the show cause notice (SCN) or statement notified under rule 142(2) & 142 (3) of Central Goods and Services Tax Rules, 2017. Article explains Procedure for intimation of voluntary payment- FORM GST DRC 03.
FAQs > Payment on Voluntary Basis (FORM GST DRC-03)
Q.1 What is the facility for Payment on Voluntary Basis?
Ans. Payment on Voluntary Basis is a facility given to tax payers to make payment u/s 73 or 74 of the CGST Act, 2017 within 30 days of issuance of Show Cause Notice (SCN). Payment could also be made by taxpayers before SCN is issued.
Q.2 When can I make voluntary payment?
Ans. You can make voluntary payment before issue of notice u/s 73 or 74 of the CGST Act, 2017 or within 30 days of issue of show cause notice (SCN) under the said sections. You cannot make voluntary payment after 30 days of issue of SCN.
Q.3 What are the pre-conditions to make voluntary payment?
Ans. The pre-conditions to make voluntary payment are:
a. In case, voluntary payment is made before issue of SCN
b. In case, voluntary payment is made after issue of SCN or statement
Q.4 How can I make voluntary payment?
Ans. To make voluntary payment against the liability (tax, interest & penalty) based on self-ascertainment of tax, navigate to Services > User Services > My Applications > Intimation of Voluntary Payment – DRC – 03 option.
Q.5 Can I make partial payment against a liability raised in a SCN?
Ans. GST Portal does not allow for making partial payments against a liability raised in a SCN. Complete payment of the amount being demanded in SCN has to be made.
Q.6 Can I save the application for intimation of voluntary payment?
Ans. Application for intimation of voluntary payment can be saved at any stage of completion for a maximum time period of 15 days. If the same is not filed within 15 days, the saved draft will be purged from the GST database. To view your saved application, navigate to Services > User Services > My Saved Applications option.
Q.7 I don’t have sufficient balance to make payment against a liability raised in a SCN. What do I do now?
Ans. You can deposit the amount in Electronic Cash Ledger through “Create Challan” functionality which is available on voluntary payment screen. On click of “Create Challan” button, you will be redirected to Create Challan screen in Payment module. In the Create challan page, challan amounts will be auto-populated based on the amount of additional cash required considering the tax liabilities and others.
Q.8 What will happen on filing of Form GST DRC-03?
Ans. Electronic Liability Register, Electronic Cash Ledger and Electronic Credit Ledger will be updated upon filing of Form GST DRC-03 i.e. Debit/Credit (both) entry will be posted simultaneously and PRN will be generated accordingly.
[142. Notice and order for demand of amounts payable under the Act.-(1) The proper officer shall serve, along with the
(a) notice issued under section 52 or section 73 or section 74 or section 76 or section 122 or section 123 or section 124 or section 125 or section 127 or section 129 or section 130, a summary thereof electronically in FORM GST DRC-01,
(b) statement under sub-section (3) of section 73 or sub-section (3) of section 74, a summary thereof electronically in FORM GST DRC-02,
specifying therein the details of the amount payable.
[(1A) The proper officer shall, before service of notice to the person chargeable with tax, interest and penalty, under sub-section (1) of Section 73 or sub-section (1) of Section 74, as the case may be, shall communicate the details of any tax, interest and penalty as ascertained by the said officer, in Part A of FORM GST DRC-01A.] 274;
(2) Where, before the service of notice or statement, the person chargeable with tax makes payment of the tax and interest in accordance with the provisions of sub-section (5) of section 73 or, as the case may be, tax, interest and penalty in accordance with the provisions of sub-section (5) of section 74, or where any person makes payment of tax, interest, penalty or any other amount due in accordance with the provisions of the Act [whether on his own ascertainment or, as communicated by the proper officer under subrule (1A),]275he shall inform the proper officer of such payment in FORM GST DRC-03 and the proper officer shall issue an acknowledgement, accepting the payment made by the said person in FORM GST DRC–04.
[(2A) Where the person referred to in sub-rule (1A) has made partial payment of the amount communicated to him or desires to file any submissions against the proposed liability, he may make such submission in Part B of FORM GST DRC-01A.] 276
(3) Where the person chargeable with tax makes payment of tax and interest under subsection (8) of section 73 or, as the case may be, tax, interest and penalty under sub-section (8) of section 74 within thirty days of the service of a notice under sub-rule (1), or where the person concerned makes payment of the amount referred to in sub-section (1) of section 129 within fourteen days of detention or seizure of the goods and conveyance, he shall intimate the proper officer of such payment in FORM GST DRC-03 and the proper officer shall issue an order in FORM GST DRC-05 concluding the proceedings in respect of the said notice.
(4) The representation referred to in sub-section (9) of section 73 or sub-section (9) of section 74 or sub-section (3) of section 76 or the reply to any notice issued under any section whose summary has been uploaded electronically in FORM GST DRC-01 under sub-rule (1) shall be furnished in FORM GST DRC-06.
(5) A summary of the order issued under section 52 or section 62 or section 63 or section 64 or section 73 or section 74 or section 75 or section 76 or section 122 or section 123 or section 124 or section 125 or section 127 or section 129 or section 130 shall be uploaded electronically in FORM GST DRC-07, specifying therein the amount of tax, interest and penalty payable by the person chargeable with tax.
(6) The order referred to in sub-rule (5) shall be treated as the notice for recovery.
(7) Where a rectification of the order has been passed in accordance with the provisions of section 161 or where an order uploaded on the system has been withdrawn, a summary of the rectification order or of the withdrawal order shall be uploaded electronically by the proper officer in FORM GST DRC-08.]277
FORM GST DRC 03: HOW TO APPLY
After login, go to and select Services->User Services->My Applications
In “Application Type*”, select “Intimation of Voluntary Payment- DRC 03” from drop-down and click on “NEW APPLICATION”
The following page will appear.
Here select “Cause of Payment*” from (a) Voluntary, (b) SCN and (c) Others. If Payment is made, then provide PRN.
Illustration 1: Voluntary-> Select appropriate section and FY.
Illustration 2: SCN->Select appropriate section and FY; provide SCN Reference No. and date (either system generated or manual)
Illustration 3: Others->Provide appropriate section and FY;
(Republished with amendments)
Disclaimer: The contents of this article are for information purposes only and does not constitute an advice or a legal opinion and are personal views of the author. It is based upon relevant law and/or facts available at that point of time and prepared with due accuracy & reliability. Readers are requested to check and refer relevant provisions of statute, latest judicial pronouncements, circulars, clarifications etc before acting on the basis of the above write up. The possibility of other views on the subject matter cannot be ruled out. By the use of the said information, you agree that Author / TaxGuru is not responsible or liable in any manner for the authenticity, accuracy, completeness, errors or any kind of omissions in this piece of information for any action taken thereof. This is not any kind of advertisement or solicitation of work by a professional.