Definition of IEC Code
IEC Code is unique 10 digit code issued by DGFT – Director General of Foreign Trade , Ministry of Commerce, Government of India to Indian Companies. “Importer Exporter Code ” To import or export in India, IEC Code is mandatory. No person or entity shall make any Import or Export without IEC Code Number
IEC Code No Notification
Directorate General of Foreign Trade(DGFT) issued a Policy Circular No.15 (RE-2006)/2004-2009 Date: 27th July, 2006) for New System for issuance of Importer-Exporter Code Number.
Eligibility, Legal Provisions and Conditions for IEC Code Number
Eligibility condition and Legal Provisions are given for IEC Code Number Application in Foreign Trade (Regulation) Rules, 1993 Ministry of Commerce, Notification No. GSR 791 (E), dated 30-12-1993.
Application for Grant of IEC Number
An application for grant of IEC number shall be made:
by the Registered/Head Office of the applicant and apply to the nearest Regional Authority of Directorate General Foreign Trade, the Registered office in case of company and Head office in case of others, falls in the ‘Aayaat Niryaat Form – ANF2A’ and shall be accompanied by documents prescribed therein.
In case of STPI/ EHTP/ BTP units, the Regional Offices of the DGFT having jurisdiction over the district in which the Registered/ Head Office of the STPI unit is located shall issue or amend the IECs.
Only one IEC would be issued against a single PAN number. Any proprietor can have only one IEC number and in case there are more than one IECs allotted to a proprietor, the same may be surrendered to the Regional Office for cancellation.
IEC Code Online Application Form
This is called “Aayat Niryaat Form – ANF2A”. Along with IEC Code Number Application Form it is necessary to submit Appendix-18B ( Attested by Applicant’s Banker in his letter head with two passport size photo).
List Of Regional Authorities Of DGFT And The Corresponding Office of Reserve Bank Of India, Exchange Control Department can be find in Appendix-18B
Validity of IEC Code No
IE Code is issued for the lifetime of the entity and requires no renewal. So once a IE Code is obtained, it can be used by that entity for all its import or export transactions without any further hassles.
Surrender of IEC Number
If an IEC holder does not wish to operate the allotted IEC number, he may surrender the same by informing the issuing authority. On receipt of such intimation, the issuing authority shall immediately cancel the same and electronically transmit it to DGFT for onward transmission to the Customs and Regional Authorities.
Application Fee For IEC Code Number
Application Fee : Rs 1000.00
No fee shall be payable in respect of any application made by such class or category of applicant as specified in Foreign Trade (Regulation) Rules,1993
Filing of Application
Application can be filed online in DGFT website, details of online links are given below.
Every application for an Import/Export licence/ certificate/ Authorisation/ permission or any other purpose should be complete in all respects as required under the relevant provisions. An incomplete application is liable to be rejected giving specific reason for rejection.
However in case of manual applications, the applicant would furnish a soft copy of the application in MS word format.
Profile of Importer/ Exporter
Each Importer/Exporter shall be required to file importer/ exporter profile once with the Regional Authority in Part 1 of ‘Aayaat Niryaat Form – ANF2A’.
. In case of any change in the information given in Part 1 of ‘Aayaat Niryaat Form ANF-2A’, importer/exporter shall intimate the same to the Regional Authority.
Self Addressed Stamped Envelope
The applicant shall furnish a self addressed envelope of 40 x 15 cm with postal stamp affixed on the envelope as follows for all documents required to be sent by Speed Post:
|a||Within local area||Rs. 20.00|
|b||Up to 200 Kms.||Rs. 25.00|
|c||Between 200 to 1000 Kms||Rs. 30.00|
|d||Beyond 1000 Kms.||Rs. 50.00|
IEC No: Exempted Categories
The following categories of importers or exporters are exempted from obtaining Importer – Exporter Code (IEC) number:
1. Importers covered by clause 3 (1) [except sub-clauses (e) and (l)] and exporters covered by clause 3(2) [except sub-clauses (i) and (k)] of the Foreign Trade (Exemption from application of Rules in certain cases) Order, 1993.
2. Ministries/Departments of the Central or State Government.
3. Persons importing or exporting goods for personal use not connected with trade or manufacture or agriculture.
4. Persons importing/exporting goods from/to Nepal provided the CIF value of a single consignment does not exceed Indian Rs.25,000.
5. Persons importing/exporting goods from/to Myanmar through Indo-Myanmar border areas provided the CIF value of a single consignment does not exceed Indian Rs.25,000.
However, the exemption from obtaining Importer-Exporter Code (IEC) number shall not be applicable for the export of Special Chemicals, Organisms, Materials, Equipments and Technologies (SCOMET) as listed in:
Appendix- 3, Schedule 2 of the ITC(HS) except in the case of exports by category(ii) above.
6. The following permanent IEC numbers shall be used by the categories of importers/ exporters mentioned against them for import/ export purposes.
1. A scanned or digital copy of valid Permanent Account Number (PAN). Image file should consist of both side of PAN.
2. Scanned or digital photograph of applicant.
3. Scanned copy of Bank Certificate.
4. Scanned copy of PAN , applicant Photograph , Bank Certificate should in gif format. Exporters are advised to used the compressed version of gif formats.
5. Other mandatory documents as per the Para 2.9 of Handbook of Procedures of Vol I 2009-14. These documents must be in pdf format only. Please refer to Appendix A.
6. Make sure that size of individual document requires to be submit online in gif /pdf format should not exceed 300 KB.
7. Exporter must have a Net banking account with one of the following designated banks
a) HDFC BANK
b) ICICI BANK
c) BANK OF INDIA
d) STATE BANK OF INDIA
e) CENTRAL BANK OF INDIA
f) PUNJAB NATIONAL BANK
h) UTI/AXIS BANK
i) UNION BANK OF INDIA
All date should be entered in DD.MM.YYYY format.
If an applicant is Non resident Indian (NRI) and there is non-resident interest in the firm/company and non-resident investment with repatriation benefits in the firm it is mandatory to submit the scanned copy of RBI approval letter.
Please make the popup blocker off in your browser setting.
Before submitting the IEC online application applicant must ensure that the documents attached are properly visible and complete otherwise application likely to be treated as deficient.