Subject : Measures to improve responsiveness to the public and improving the efficiency – Regarding.
I am directed to say that there is immediate need for providing responsible and responsive tax administration. Quick two way communication between the Customs Department and the public/ Trade will certainly go a long way in reducing disputes, especially those relating to procedural lapses, and will also ensure improvement in efficiency of the Department in providing quality service to the public. To achieve this, the Board has decided that-
(1) all communications from the importers CHAS when sent by Fax, E- mail, by Post or by courier should be acted upon by the Customs House,
(2) Fax / E- Mail copies of invoice and other documents duly certified by the importers/ exporters may also be accepted for clearance of such consignments,
(3) the appointments should also be given on receipt of request from the trade on- E- mail or Fax. The confirmation may also be given by E- mail/ Fax.
(4) all queries by E-mail may be entertained and the answers may be sent by E- mail as far as far as possible .
(5) any query received from the trade must be answered within a maximum of four weeks from the date of receipt’
To make E-mail an effective mode of communication between the department and the public, it is essential the E-mail connectivity should be provided to each Assistant Commissioner in the Customs House and the lines properly maintained. Wide publicity of the E-mail address should also be given through every media.