Ministry of Commerce & Industry
Impact of Corona on Sezs
Posted On: 16 SEP 2020
A comparative statement in respect of merchandise exports from SEZs during the period of April to August, is as under:
|Merchandise exports (April-August, 2020)||Merchandise exports during the corresponding period of previous year (April – August, 2019)|
|Rs. 81,481 Crores||Rs. 1,30,129 Crores|
However, Services exports has shown a growth of 9% during April’2020 to August’ 2020 in comparison to corresponding period of previous year.
To facilitate SEZ Developers/Co-developers/Units, following measures were taken during the COVID-19 outbreak:
31. The last date of filing of various compliances was extended from 31.03.2020 to 30.06.2020 e.g. Quarterly Progress Report (QPR), SOFTEX form and Annual Performance Reports (APR).
32. Development Commissioners (DCs) were directed to facilitate extension of Letter of Approvals (LoAs) and other compliances scheduled to expire during COVID pandemic, through electronic mode, in a time-bound manner. Further, DCs were directed in cases where it was not possible to grant extension through electronic mode to ensure that the Developer / Co-developer / Units did not face any hardship due to such expiry of validity during this period of disruption, and ad-hoc interim extension / deferment of the expiry date was granted without prejudice till 30.06.2020.
1. Power has been delegated to Development Commissioners for broad-banding in case of manufacturing of essential items like masks, sanitizer, gowns and other protective/preventive products/instruments subject to post-facto ratification by the Approval Committee.
2. Directions were issued that there should be no increase in lease rent for the units in Central Government SEZs for the Financial Year 2020-21.
3. Payment of lease rent of first quarter was deferred upto 31st July 2020 for all the units in Central Government SEZs. Further, Development Commissioners were also requested to allow the units to clear the first two quarterly instalments of lease rent in six equal instalments starting from October 1st, 2020.
This information was given by the Union Minister of Commerce and Industry, Shri Piyush Goyal, in a written reply in the Lok Sabha today.