CS Mohit Saluja
Bar Coding is a series of parallel vertical lines (bars and space), that can be read by bar code scanners. When scanned by a bar code scanner, the black bars and spaces are decoded to reveal a specific 12 or 13 digit long sequence of numbers (the ‘barcode number’)
WHY TO USE BAR CODE:
Obtaining a BAR Code is not Mandatory for all types of Business Houses, but having a Bar Code of the products gives the additional advantages to the holder than those having no bar codes.
1. Bar code has now been made mandatory for the companies deal in Pharmaceuticals, Trading with Super Markets, Providing Goods and Services to Army canteens etc. It is used worldwide as part of product packages, as price tags, carton labels, on invoices even in credit card bills.
2. For manufacturers who want to sell their products internationally, Bar Code shall help the other countries to accept their products widely.
3. The bar code become unique and universal and can be recognized anywhere in the world. Bar coding is an international concept today.
4. Even, the majority of retail stores today are using a barcode system and many more will implement a barcode system in the near future.
5. The Bar code brings an impression in minds of customers about the quality and Standards being used by the company for their product worldwide.
BENEFITS OF BAR CODE:
1. The bar code become unique and universal and can be recognized anywhere in the world as the Bar coding is an international concept today.
2. It facilitates unique product identification through using international symbologies /numbering system, promotes brand image and would enable timely and accurate capture of product information.
3. This would result in wide ranging benefits including lowering of inventory costs, lower overall supply chain costs and hence reduced costs for Indian products, increasing efficiency of Indian industry and adherence to stringent quality assurance norms through product traceability.
DOCUMENTS REQUIRED FOR OBTAINING THE BAR CODE:
1. PAN card copy of Proprietor/ partnership Firm/ Company
2. PAN Card Copy of all the partners/ Directors
3. Certificate of VAT Registration in case the applicant is Proprietor
4. Partnership Deed Copy in case of Partnership Firm/ Memorandum of Association in case the applicant is a company
5. Copy of latest Balance Sheet AND Profit and Loss Accounts. In case the business is yet to be started or a new Firm, no Balance Sheet is required
6. Covering Letter for applying the Bar Code Registration
7. The requisites Forms issued by the authority
8. After scrutinizing the papers, the authority, issue the Bar Codes to the applicants.
VALIDITY OF BAR CODES
The validity of Bar Codes depends upon the discretion of the applicant for which he wants to apply. It may be 1, 2, 5 or 10 years. And the fees is being charges by the concerned authority depending upon the no. of years for which the bar code has been applied.
WHERE TO APPLY:
A body has been set by the Ministry of Commerce and Industry, Government of India long with leading chambers of Commerce and Industry, BIS etc. in 1996 as not for profit, independent Standard Body. Its Founder members include: Ministry of Commerce and Industry, Government of India, Spices Board, Confederation of Indian Industry, FICCI, ASSOCHAM, IMC, FIEO, BIS, IIP etc.
The Corporate Office of the Bar Code Authority is at Delhi where all these products along with requisite fees can be deposited and Regional Offices are at Mumbai and Bangalore. The Corporate Office Address is: GS1 India, 330, 2nd Floor, ‘C’ Wing, August Kranti Bhawan, Bhikaji Cama Place, New Delhi 110066, India.
CONCLUSION: Now, is the era where every person want to be supplier of Products which are being accepted globally for which a no. of licenses are required to be taken. Bar Code is the one amongst them and the necessity of the time, which helps the products to be accepted internationally. No person can do the business and earn the profits unless and until the global buyers accept his products and the trust of international buyers can be achieved and won , if Bar Code is in the list of license of the manufacturer/ seller.
(CS Mohit Saluja, Mohit Saluja & Associates, 2nd Floor, Malhotra Complex, Sehdev Market, Jalandhar City, M- 9914558709, email@example.com)