Securities and Exchange Board of India
Dated- March 29, 2011
All Foreign Institutional Investors
through their designated Custodians of Securities
Sub:- Dissemination of further information about FII activity – Discontinuance of Reporting
1. Please refer to Circular No. IMD/FII&C/32/2008 dated October 16, 2008 read with Circular No. IMD/FII&C/34/2008 dated October 20, 2008 and Circular No. IMD/FII&C/4/2010 dated June 29, 2010 related to reporting of information pertaining to securities lent by the FIIs to entities abroad.
2. Based on these circulars, FIIs have been submitting weekly reports based on which disclosures have been made available for public dissemination at http://203. 199.12.5 1/SecuritiesLentMain.html every Tuesday.
3. The reports filed by the FIIs have been reviewed and it is noted that as on March 04, 2011 there are no outstanding short positions reported by the FIIs.
4. While the prohibition on the activity of synthetic short continues, the FIIs are no longer required to file these reports, with effect from the date of this circular, as there are no outstanding short positions.
5. This circular is issued in exercise of the powers conferred under Section 11 (1) of the Securities and Exchange Board of India Act 1992, read with Section 10 of the Securities Contracts (Regulation) Act, 1956 to protect the interests of investors in securities and to promote the development of, and to regulate the securities market.
6. A copy of this circular is available at the web page “F.I.I.” on our website www.sebi.gov.in. The custodians are requested to bring the contents of this circular to the notice of their FII clients. Yours faithfully,