Article contains FAQs on Form to Change Profile for Quarterly Return and Monthly Payments (QRMP) Scheme under GST and process and Form to Change Profile on GSTN portal. FAQs contains Answers on Overview of QRMP Scheme, Invoice Furnishing Facility (IFF), Opting for QRMP Scheme, Migration of Existing taxpayers to QRMP Scheme and Changing Profile After Opting for QRMP Scheme
1. What is Quarterly Returns with Monthly Payment (QRMP) Scheme?
Quarterly Returns with Monthly Payment (QRMP) Scheme is for eligible taxpayers to file their Form GSTR-1 and Form GSTR-3B returns on quarterly basis, while paying their tax dues on monthly basis through a challan.
2. Who all are eligible for the QRMP scheme?
All taxpayers whose aggregate annual turnover (PAN based) is up to ₹ 5 Crore in the current financial year and the preceding financial year (if applicable) and have already filed their last due Form GSTR-3B return, are eligible for the QRMP scheme.
If your aggregate turnover (PAN based) for FY 2019-20 and current Financial year is up to ₹ 5 Crore and you have filed your FORM GSTR-3B for the month of October 2020 (let’s say at least) by 30th November 2020, you will be put under QRMP scheme by default, by the GST system.
For example: A taxpayer’s whose Annual aggregate turnover (AATO) was less than/ up to ₹ 5 Crore in preceding FY and has filed Form GSTR-3B for the period June 2021 (let’s say at least) by last day of the first month of the next quarter ie by 31st July, 2021.
3. Is the QRMP scheme available to every taxpayer?
No, the QRMP scheme is not available to every taxpayer.
The QRMP scheme can be availed only by those taxpayers who are liable to file Form GSTR-1 and Form GSTR-3B returns and can be opted by:
Note: The scheme is not available for taxpayers whose Annual aggregate turnover (AATO) is more than ₹ 5 Crores.
4. What are the pre-conditions for opting for QRMP scheme for a taxpayer?
Following pre-conditions must be fulfilled by a taxpayer to opt for QRMP scheme:
5. What is IFF?
IFF stands for Invoice Furnishing Facility for taxpayers who have opted for QRMP scheme to declare outward supplies to a registered person for first two months of any quarter. It is an optional facility. The facility will be similar to Form GSTR-1. It allows filing for only B2B invoices, credit notes, debit notes etc. Last date of filing IFF for a month is the 13th of the next month. This will allow recipient taxpayers to take credit of these invoices in the same month, if reported in IFF, by the supplier taxpayer under QRMP scheme.
6. Presently, I am filing Form GSTR-1 at quarterly frequency and Form GSTR-3B at monthly frequency, will I be able to opt out of the QRMP scheme?
Please note that from 1st of Jan 2021 onwards, you can opt out for the QRMP scheme. If you opt out of the scheme you would need to file both Form GSTR-1 and Form GSTR-3B on Monthly frequency.
However, you may continue to remain in the QRMP scheme (if you are put under QRMP scheme by default from 5th December, 2020 by the GST system) and file both Form GSTR-1 and Form GSTR-3B at quarterly frequency.
7. From where can I opt in or opt out from the QRMP scheme?
Login to the GST portal using your valid credentials and then navigate to Services > Returns > Opt-in for Quarterly Return option to opt in or opt out of the QRMP scheme.
8. Can I avail the QRMP scheme at any point of time during a financial year?
You can opt in or opt out of the QRMP scheme as per the timelines mentioned in the table below:
|S.No.||Quarter of a particular year||QRMP Scheme can be opted in or opted out during|
|1||Q1 (April – May – June)||1st February’ to 30th April’|
|2||Q2 (July – August – September)||1st May’ to 31st July’|
|3||Q3 (October – November – December)||1st August’ to 31st October’|
|4||Q4 (January – February – March)||1st November’ to 31st January of next year|
9. Can a GST Practitioner opt in/ opt out of the QRMP scheme on behalf of taxpayer?
No, a GST practitioner cannot opt in/ opt out of the QRMP scheme on the behalf of taxpayer. A GST Practitioner can only view details.
10. I have multiple GSTINs on the same PAN in same/different States. Can I opt in for the QRMP scheme for some specific GSTINs only?
Yes, you may opt for the QRMP Scheme for certain GSTINs and remain out of the scheme for remaining GSTINs, registered on a common PAN.
11. Before commencement of QRMP scheme, will the GST Portal migrate the existing taxpayers by default to this scheme?
Yes, for the Quarter Jan to Mar 2021, all the registered taxpayers whose Annual Aggregate Turnover (AATO) in the FY 2019-20 was up to ₹ 5 Crore and has not exceeded ₹ 5 Crore turnover in current FY i.e. 2020-21 and have furnished there return in Form GSTR-3B for the month of October 2020 by 30th November 2020, will be migrated by default to QRMP scheme by the GST System.
12. What are the rules based on Annual Aggregate Turnover (AATO) by which the existing taxpayers will be migrated to QRMP Scheme?
The existing taxpayers will be migrated to the QRMP scheme, based on the following criteria of annual aggregate turnover.
|S.No.||Class of taxpayers with annual aggregate turnover (AATO) of||Default Return option|
|1||Up to Rs 1.5 Cr. in preceding FY, who have furnished Form GSTR-1 on quarterly basis in current FY||Quarterly|
|2||Up to Rs 1.5 Cr. in preceding FY, who have furnished Form GSTR-1 on monthly basis in current FY||Monthly|
|3||More than Rs 1.5 Cr. and up to Rs 5 Cr. in preceding FY||Quarterly|
Note: In case your return in Form GSTR-3B for the month of Oct. 2020 is not filed by 30th November 2020, GST Portal will migrate your profile to Monthly Return filing option.
13. Can I change and save my profile for two consecutive quarters in a year?
No, you cannot take actions for two consecutive quarters simultaneously on the GST Portal. At any given point of time, you can opt in/ opt out for a single quarter only.
Note: The option selected in the current quarter will be set as the default option for the subsequent quarters.
14. I have saved Form GSTR-1 for this quarter but filing of Form GSTR-3B return is pending. Can I opt for the scheme now?
No, you cannot opt for the QRMP scheme, if you have saved any details in Form GSTR-1 for that particular quarter. You can delete the saved records in Form GSTR-1 and then choose to opt into the scheme.
15. As part of transition to the scheme, my GSTIN was migrated to the QRMP scheme for the Quarter Jan-Mar 2021. Do I need to again opt for the scheme for next quarter(s)?
No, once you have opted for QRMP scheme/ have been migrated to QRMP scheme by default option, the same will continue for subsequent quarters (unless you want to opt out of the scheme or in case the aggregate turnover for current FY exceeds ₹ 5 Crore during a quarter).
16. I have opted for the QRMP scheme. Will I be allowed to file both Form GSTR-1 and Form GSTR-3B on quarterly frequency by default?
Yes, if you opt for QRMP scheme, both Form GSTR-1 and Form GSTR-3B will be required to be filed at quarterly frequency. However, Payment needs to be made every month for tax dues on monthly basis through a challan.
17. I am a new registered taxpayer; will I be able to opt for the QRMP scheme?
Yes, new registered taxpayer whose AATO is up to ₹ 5 Crores can opt for the QRMP scheme based on the following conditions:
1. The registration is granted on any date during the first month of a quarter will be able to opt for QRMP scheme from the beginning itself.
For example, a person granted registration upto 31st January, 2021, will be able to opt for QRMP Scheme from the quarter Jan-Mar, 2021 itself by 31st January, 2021.
2. If, however, the registration is granted on any of the dates during latter 02 months of a quarter, they will be able to opt for QRMP scheme only from next quarter onwards.
For example, a person granted registration on or after 1st February, 2021, will be able to opt for QRMP Scheme only from Quarter Apr-June, 2021 onwards and will have to file Form GSTR-1 and Form GSTR-3B returns monthly, for the months of February and March, 2021.
18. Whether it is required to exercise the option every quarter / year?
No, registered persons are not required to exercise the option every quarter. Where such option has been exercised once, they will continue to furnish the return as per the selected option for future tax periods, unless they revise the said option or their AATO exceeds ₹ 5 Crore.
19. If a tax payer has opted for QRMP scheme and his AATO exceeds ₹ 5 Crores, then will the scheme be valid?
No, in case the AATO of a taxpayer exceeds the limit of ₹ 5 Crores, the tax payer will not be eligible for the QRMP scheme.
To change or select filing frequency of Form GSTR-1 and Form GSTR-3B as per the Quarterly Return and Monthly Payments (QRMP) scheme, perform following steps:
1. Access the www.gst.gov.in URL. The GST Home page is displayed. Login to the GST Portal with valid credentials. Click the Services > Returns > Opt-in for Quarterly Return option.
2. The Opt-in for Quarterly Return page is displayed. From the Financial Year drop-down list select the year for which you want to change the filing frequency and click the SEARCH button.
3. The following details are displayed on the screen.
• Quarter: Lists the four quarters of the selected financial year.
• Selected Frequency: Displays the option of Monthly and Quarterly that can be selected for the quarter. The Quarter which is open for selection is highlighted in green with SAVE button and the quarters which are not available for selection is highlighted in grey. For FY 2020-21 only one quarter will be open for selection and the remaining quarters will not be open.
• Action: Displays the SAVE button against the quarter for which the selection is applicable.
• Selection available from: Displays specific dates of the quarter during which the selection is made available from.
• Applicable return due dates for Form GSTR-1 and Form GSTR-3B forms: Displays the return due dates applicable for month 1, month 2 and month 3 of a quarter.
• To perform any task in the return’s dashboard, for example, to refer to Form GSTR-1 or Form GSTR-3B, you can click CONTINUE TO RETURNS DASHBOARD button.
• The Annual Aggregate Turnover (AATO) of the taxpayer in the previous financial year is displayed.
• You can click the Advisory button to view the advisory related to QRMP scheme in a PDF format.
4. To change the filing frequency to Monthly or Quarterly, select the radio button corresponding to the quarter and click the SAVE button, to save the preference.
Note: For taxpayers whose Aggregate Annual Turnover (AATO) is greater than ₹5 Cr., the filing preference will be monthly only, and no option is provided to opt for quarterly return filing.
5. A confirmation message is displayed on the screen. Click the OK button.
Note: Below screenshot is displayed when the taxpayer selects the filing frequency as Quarterly.
Note: Below screenshot is displayed when the taxpayer selects the filing frequency as Monthly.
6. A success message is displayed that confirms successful change of profile to the selected filing frequency. Click the OK button.
7. Clicking the OK button displays the Opt-in for Quarterly Return page. The screen displays, the filing frequency has been set and the SAVE button is disabled.
Note: Once the Taxpayer opts in or opts out of the QRMP scheme, an Email and SMS is sent to the Primary Authorized Signatory of the taxpayer
8. Click the CONTINUE TO RETURNS DASHBOARD button to go to the returns page.