In pursuant to the guidelines issued by Ministry of Home Affairs vide No.40-3/2020-DM-I(A), Dated 24th March 2020 and subsequent amendments regarding imposition of complete lock down due to outbreak of COVID-19, the MoRTH had issued an advisory dated 30th March, 2020 to all regarding extension of validity of the documents related to Motor Vehicles Act, 1988 and Central Motor Vehicle Rules, 1989. It was advised that documents whose extension of validity could not or not likely be granted due to lock-down and which have expired since 1st of Feb, 2020 or would expire till 30th June 2020, Enforcement authorities were advised to treat such documents valid till 30th of June, 2020.
It has also come to the notice of the Government that citizens are facing difficulties in respect of various fees/late fees as mandated under rule 32 and 81 of Central Motor Vehicle Rules 1989 due to lock down in the country and closure of Government Transport Offices. There are cases where the fees have already been paid, for the service or renewal, however the process could not be completed due to lockdown. Further, there are issues where citizen is finding difficult to deposit fees due to closure of RTO offices.
In order to facilitate citizens during COVID –19, MORTH has issued a statutory order prescribing that the fees paid on or after 1st February 2020 for the activity(s) including renewal and in case such activity(s) is not completed due to conditions for prevention of COVID-19 pandemic, the fees paid shall continue to remain valid. And If there is delay in paying the fees from 1st of Feb, 2020 till the period of lockdown there would not be any additional or late fee to be charged for such delays till 31st July 2020.
MINISTRY OF ROAD TRANSPORT AND HIGHWAYS
New Delhi, the 21st May, 2020
S.O. 1579(E).— Whereas, the Central Government is of the opinion that persons are facing difficulties in respect of various fees or late fees as mandated under the Central Motor Vehicles Rules, 1989 due to lockdown in the country;
Now, therefore, in exercise of the power conferred by section 211 of the Motor Vehicles Act, 1988 (59 of 1988) and it is considered necessary so to do, in the public interest in view of prevailing Novel Corona Virus (COVID-19) pandemic situation, the Central Government hereby issues the following Order, namely :‑
1. Short title and commencement. – (1) These rules may be called as the Central Motor Vehicles (Relaxation of
Fees) Order, 2020.
(2) It shall come into force from the date of its publication in the Official Gazette.
2. The fees paid, on or after 1st February, 2020 for the activity listed under rule 32 (all items of table) and rule 81 (all items of table except serial number 4 for issue of registration and assignment of new registration mark) of Central Motor Vehicles Rules, 1989 and in case such activity could not be completed due to conditions for prevention of COVID-19 pandemic, shall continue to remain valid.
3. In case due to conditions for prevention of COVID-19 pandemic, if there is delay in paying the fees from 1st February, 2020 till the period of lockdown as under the order of the Ministry of Home Affairs for the activity listed under rule 32 (all items of table) and rule 81 (all items of table except serial number 4 for issue of registration) of Central Motor Vehicles Rules, 1989 as well as completing these activity, such activity shall be completed by 31st July, 2020.
4. The late fees or additional fees, for such delays, referred to in paragraphs 2 and 3 above shall not be levied.
[F. N. RT-11012/02/2019-MVL Pt. 8]
PRIYANK BHARTI, Jt. Secy.