GOVERNMENT OF GOA
Department of Law
Legal Affairs Division
The Contract Labour (Regulation and Abolition) (Goa Amendment) Act, 2020 (Goa Act 18 of 2020), which has been passed by the Legislative Assembly of Goa on 27-07-2020 and assented to by the President of India on 14-09-2020, is hereby published for the general information of the public.
Dnyaneshwar Raut Dessai, Joint Secretary (Law).
Porvorim, 29th September, 2020.
The Contract Labour (Regulation and Abolition) (Goa Amendment) Act, 2020
(Goa Act 18 of 2020) [14-09-2020]
further to amend the Contract Labour (Regulation and Abolition) Act, 1970 (Central Act No. 37 of 1970), as in force in the State of Goa.
Be it enacted by the Legislative Assembly of Goa in the Seventy-first Year of the Republic of India as follows:—
1. Short title and commencement.— (1) This Act may be called the Contract Labour (Regulation and Abolition) (Goa Amendment) Act, 2020.
(2) It shall be deemed to have come into force on the 26th day of June, 2020.
2. Amendment of section 1.— In section 1 of the Contract Labour (Regulation and Abolition) Act, 1970 (Central Act 37 of 1970), as in force in the State of Goa (hereinafter referred to as the “principal Act”), in sub-section (4), for the word “twenty”, wherever it occurs, the word “fifty” shall be substituted.
3. Insertion of new section 25A.— After section 25 of the principal Act, the following section shall be inserted, namely:—
“25A. Compounding of offences.— (1) Any offence punishable under sub-sections (1) and (2) of section 22 and section 24 may, either before or after the institution of the prosecution, on an application by the alleged offender, be compounded by such officer or authority as the State Government may, by notification in the Official Gazette, specify in this behalf for the amount as specified in the table below.
|Number of workmen
employed in establishment
|50 to 100||Rs.||20000/-|
|101 to 500||Rs.||35000/-|
|More than 500||Rs.||50000/-|
Provided that the State Government may, by notification in the Official Gazette, amend the composition amount specified in above Table:
Provided further that the offence committed of the same nature shall be compoundable only for the first three offences:
Provided also that such offences shall be compounded only after the alleged offender has acted to the satisfaction of such officer or authority that such offence is not continued any further.
(2) Where an offence has been compounded under sub-section (1), no further proceedings shall be taken against the offender in respect of such offence and the offender, if in custody, shall be discharged”.
4. Repeal and Saving.— (1) The Contract Labour (Regulation and Abolition) (Goa Amendment) Ordinance, 2020 (Ordinance No. 7 of 2020) is hereby repealed.
(2) Notwithstanding such repeal anything done or any action taken under the principal Act, as amended by the said Ordinance, shall be deemed to have been done or taken under the principal Act, as amended by this Act.
CHOKHA RAM GARG
Secretary to the
Government of Goa
Law Department (Legal Affairs).