Government of National Capital Territory of Delhi
Department of Environment & Forests
6th floor, C-Wing, Delhi Secretariat, New Delhi-110002
F. No.10 (39)/ENV/2021/5184-5213
Dated:17th November, 2021
Subject:- Directions u/s 5 of the Environment (Protection) Act, 1986, to close all offices of GNCT of Delhi / Autonomous Bodies / Corporations and advisory to private offices/ establishments
Whereas, Delhi faces grave air pollution particularly in winter season and level of pollutants like Particulate Matter Concentration (PM 2.5 and PM 10) goes much beyond the prescribed standards for Ambient Air Quality.
And whereas, keeping in view the deteriorating ambient air quality of the City and the unfavourable forecast on AQI levels, directions were issued to close offices of GNCT of Delhi / Autonomous Bodies / Corporations till 17.11.2021 vide order dated 13.11.2021 under section 5 of Environment (protection ) Act 1986, in public interest to curb high air pollution in Delhi
And whereas in pursuance of the directions in Writ Petition (Civil) No. 1135 of 2020 titled as Aditya Dubey Vs. Union of India & Ors of the Hon’ble Supreme Court, on 15.11.2021, the Commission For Air Quality in National Capital Region and Adjoining Areas, convened an emergency meeting on 16.11.2021 and in pursuance of the same, has issued directions on 16.11.2021 under Section 12 of the Commission For Air Quality in National Capital Region and Adjoining Areas Act, 2021 regarding steps for effective control of air pollution in wake of the prevailing poor air quality in Delhi-NCR, including encouraging work from home to further ease vehicular pollution
And whereas the directions of the Commission For Air Quality in National Capital Region and Adjoining Areas interalia includes measures to be implemented with strict force with immediate effect in the areas of industrial pollution, thermal power plants, vehicular pollution, dust control measures, use of DG sets and work from home to ease vehicular pollution
And whereas, the Commission has on ‘work from home’ directed the below:
1. NCR State Governments shall allow Work from Home (WFH) for at least 50% of their staff in offices in NCR, till 21 November, 2021 subject to further review.
2. NCR State Governments shall encourage at least 50% of staff working in private establishments in NCR are also allowed to work from home till 21 November, 2021 subject to further review.
And whereas, vehicular pollution would cause extensive air pollution and release harmful air pollutants particularly when air quality is very poor and it is felt that there needs to be more curbs on vehicular movement.
Now, therefore, in view of the above and in exercise of the powers conferred under Section 5 of the Environment (Protection) Act, 1986 read with notification No. S0667(E) issued by Ministry of Home Affairs, Government of India dated 10.09.1992 and keeping in view the need in public interest to curb high air pollution and improve air quality in Delhi, following directions are hereby issued:
(i) All offices of GNCT of Delhi / Autonomous Bodies / Corporations shall remain closed with immediate effect till 21.11.2021 except those involved in essential and emergency services such as Health and Family Welfare and all related medical establishments, Police, Prisons, Home Guards, Civil Defence, Fire and emergency Services, District Administration,DPCC, Environment Department, Pay & Account Office, Electricity, PWD, l&FC, Water and Sanitation, Public Transport (Air / Railways/ Delhi Metro / Buses) including all incidental services / activities that are essential for smooth functioning of all modes of public transport (such as handling of cargo, ticketing, air freight station, CFS, ICD etc.),disaster management and related services, NIC, and Municipal services, and all other essential services. The uninterrupted delivery of public services shall be ensured by the concerned departments /agencies. However, all the officers / officials shall work from home.
(ii) All private offices / establishments are advised to allow their staff to work from home, so as to ensure least vehicular movement on the roads till 21.11.2021.
All Heads of Departments/organizations, District Magistrates and District Deputy Commissioners of Police as well as all Authorities concerned shall implement the aforesaid directions in letter and spirit.
The violation of the directions issued under Section 5 of the the Environment (Protection) Act,1986 or the rules made thereunder shall be punishable under Section 15 of the said Act which includes imprisonment upto five years and / or with fine which may extended to Rs one Lakh or with both.
By order and in the name of the
Lieutenant Governor of National Capital Territory of Delhi
Pr. Secretary (Environment)
Copy for compliance to:
1. All Additional Chief Secretaries/Principal Secretaries/Secretaries/HODs of Government of NCT of Delhi.
2. The Vice Chairman, Delhi, Development Authority, Vikas Sadan,I.N.A., New Delhi
3. Commissioner of Police, Delhi
4. Chairman, New Delhi Municipal Council.
5. Secretary (Revenue)-cum-Divisional Commissioner, GNCTD
6. Secretary (Transport), GNCTD
7. Commissioner (South DMC/East DMC/North DMC).
8. Secretary (I&P) for wide publicity in NCT of Delhi
9. CEO, Delhi Cantonment Board.
10. All District Magistrates of Delhi
11. All District DCPs of Delhi
12. DGHS, GNCTD
13. Member Secretary, DPCC, GNCTD
Copy for kind information to:-
1. Secretary to Hon’ble Lt. Governor, Delhi
2. Secretary to Hon’ble Chief Minister, GNCTD
3. Secretary to Hon’ble Dy. Chief Minister, GNCTD
4. Secretary to Hon’ble Minister of Health, GNCTD
5. Secretary to Hon’ble Minister of Revenue, GNCTD
6. Secretary to Hon’ble Minister of General Administration Department, GNCTD
7. Secretary to Hon’ble Minister of Social Welfare, GNCTD
8. Secretary to Hon’ble Minister of Food & Supply, GNCTD
9. Chief Secretary (Home)/ State Nodal Officer, GNCTD
10. Addl. Chief Secretary (UD), GNCTD
11. Secretary (Environment), GNCTD
12. Guard file.
1. Secretary to Hon’ble Lieutenant Governor.
2. Secretary to Hon’ble Chief Minister, Delhi.
3. Secretary to Hon’ble Minister (E&F), GNCTD
4. OSD to Chief Secretary, Govt. Of Delhi.