On October 17, 2023, the Ministry of Commerce and Industry, in consultation with the Bureau of Indian Standards, introduced the “Copper Products (Quality Control) Order, 2023.” This order is enacted under the authority of the Bureau of Indian Standards Act, 2016, and it focuses on maintaining and ensuring the quality of copper products in India. Read full text below:-
MINISTRY OF COMMERCE AND INDUSTRY
(Department for Promotion of Industry and Internal Trade)
New Delhi, the 17th October, 2023
S.O. 4595(E).—In exercise of the powers conferred by section 16 of the Bureau of Indian Standards Act, 2016 (11 of 2016), the Central Government, after consulting the Bureau of Indian Standards, is of the opinion that it is necessary or expedient so to do in the public interest, hereby makes the following Order, namely: –
1. Short title and commencement. – (1) This order may be called the Copper Products (Quality Control) Order, 2023.
(2) It shall come into force on the expiry of six months from the date of publication of this notification in the Official Gazette:
2. Compulsory use of Standard Mark. – Goods or articles specified in column (1) of the Table shall conform to the corresponding Indian Standard mentioned in column (2) of the Table and shall bear the Standard Mark under a license from the Bureau as per Scheme-1 of Schedule-II of the Bureau of Indian Standards (Conformity Assessment) Regulations, 2018:
Provided that nothing in this order shall apply to goods or articles manufactured domestically for export.
Provided further that in relation to micro Enterprises, as defined in clauses (h) and (m), respectively of section 2 of the Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises Development Act, 2006 (27 of 2006), it shall come into force on the expiry of twelve months from the date of publication of this notification.
Provided also that in relation to small Enterprises, as defined in clauses (h) and (m), respectively of section 2 of the Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises Development Act, 2006 (27 of 2006), it shall come into force on the expiry of nine months from the date of publication of this notification.
3. Certification and enforcement authority. – The Bureau shall be the certifying and enforcing authority for the goods or articles specified in column (1) of the Table.
4. Penalty for contravention. – Any person who contravenes the provisions of this order shall be punishable under the provisions of the Bureau of Indian Standards Act, 2016.
Goods or articles
|Indian Standard||Title of Indian Standard|
|Copper Products||12444:2020||Copper Wire Rods for Electrical Applications|
|613:2000||Copper Rods and Bars for Electrical Purposes|
|1897:2008||Copper strip for electrical purposes|
|4171:1983||Copper rods and bars for general engineering purposes|
|1545: 1994||Solid drawn copper and copper alloy tubes for condensers and heat exchangers|
|2501: 1995||Solid drawn copper tubes for general
|14810: 2000||Copper Tubes for plumbing- Specification|
|10773:1995||Wrought Copper Tubes for Refrigeration and Air-Conditioning Purposes|
|4412:1981||Copper wires for general engineering purposes|
Note.- For the purposes of this Table, the latest version of Indian Standards including the amendments thereof, as notified by the Bureau of Indian Standards from time to time shall apply.
[F. No. P-29026/8/2023-LEI]
SANJIV, Jt. Secy.