THE INSTITUTE OF
Company Secretaries of India
IN PURSUIT OF PROFESSIONAL EXCELLENCE
Statutory body under an Act of Parliament
(Under the jurisdiction of Ministry of Corporate Affairs)
18th March, 2021
Dear Professional Colleagues,
Greetings from ICSI!
As you are aware that ICSI is endeavoring to achieve the distinctive status for the profession of Company Secretaries in this ever-competitive environment and I am confident that with collaborative efforts, ICSI would succeed in its endeavor to change the profile of the profession of Company Secretaries.
Today, lam delighted to share that with the concerted and dedicated efforts of all well-wishers of the profession, the University Grants Commission (UGC) vide its D.O. letter No. 9-35/2016(CPP-II) dated 15.03.2021 has recognized the Company Secretary (CS) qualification as equivalent to Post Graduate Degree. Considering CS qualification as Post Graduate degree will benefit our members in the following manner:
1. The Members of ICSI will be eligible to appear for UGC (NET) which is required for appointment of Assistant Professors/ Associate Professors/ Professors in higher educational institutions.
2. The members may be able to pursue Ph.D. with any of the Universities approved/ recognized by UGC on the subjects related to CS Course after qualifying NET or other similar tests.
3. The members become eligible to take up assignments as Assistant Professors/ Associate Professors/ Professors in various universities and colleges in India subject to other conditions as applicable.
4. The members will also be eligible for appointment to various posts advertised by UPSC, PSUs, State Public Service Commissions, PESB and other regulatory bodies wherein the eligibility criteria is Post Graduation.
5. For pursuing higher education abroad, the universities require Graduate /Post Graduate Degree from recognized universities. Therefore, a member of ICSI, will now be able to apply for student
6. Post graduate qualification generally gives more weightage for calculating the points of the CRS (comprehensive Ranking System), known by different names in different countries. Therefore, recognition of CS Qualification as a Post Graduate Degree by UGC will definitely give an edge to the members, seeking to obtain visas.
I congratulate the entire CS fraternity and also the students of the Institute for this new recognition received from the Government of India. I also wish to convey my sincere thanks to the UGC and compliment Team ICSI for their dedicated efforts.
(CS Nagendra D. Rao)
Universality Grants Commission
(Ministry of Education Govt. of India)
Bhadur shah Zafar Marg, New Delhi – 110002
Dr. Surender Singh
Phone Off;- 011-23238865
D.O.No.9-35/2o16 (CPP-I I)
15 March, 2021
Sub: To consider CA/CSACWA qualification equivalent to PG Degree for appearing in UGC- Net
UGC had received requests from the Institute of Chartered Accountant of India, the Institute of Company Secretaries of India and the Institute of Cost Accountant of India to consider the qualification being awarded by them. i.e., Chartered Accountant (CA). Company Secrete,’ (CS) and Cost and Works. . Accountants (ICWA) respectively, equivalent to Post Graduation Degree.
To consider this, a Committee was committtee by the UGC. The Commission, in its 550th meeting held on 18th February, 2021 considered the recommendation of the Expert Committee and resolved as under:
“CA/CS /ICWA qualification he considered equivalent to PG Degree.”
This is for your kind information..
With kind regards
The Institute of Company Secretaries of India
ICSI House, 22 Institutional Area
New Delhi- 11o oo3