DCM (Plg) No.G-6/1128/10.01.24/2015-16
September 24, 2015
The Chairman / Managing Director/ Chief Executive Officer
Dear Sir /Madam
Banknotes with new numbering pattern and special features for the visually impaired
Reserve Bank of India is issuing Banknotes in Mahatma Gandhi Series 2005 with a new numbering pattern and special features for the visually impaired in ₹ 100, 500 and 1000 denominations.
2. In the new numbering pattern, the numerals in both the number panels of these denominations ascend in size from left to right, while the first three alphanumeric characters (prefix) remain constant in size. Printing the numerals in ascending size is a visible security feature in the banknotes so that the general public can easily distinguish a counterfeit note from a genuine one.
3. Special features for the visually impaired have been introduced in order to make it easier for them to identify banknotes, the size of the Identification Mark in ₹ 100, 500 & 1000 denominations has been increased by 50% and angular bleed lines – 4 lines in 2 blocks in ₹ 100, 5 lines in 3 blocks in ₹ 500 and 6 lines in 4 blocks in ₹ 1000 denominations, have been introduced.
4. The design of banknotes of ₹ 100, 500 and 1000 denomination is similar in all other respects to the current design of banknotes in Mahatma Gandhi Series 2005. All the banknotes in these denominations issued by the Reserve Bank in the past will continue to be legal tender.
5. You are advised to issue suitable instructions to all your branches informing them about the above changes so that no inconvenience is caused to the public, whatsoever. Further, you may also ensure that the note sorting / detection machines used by your bank are suitably calibrated for processing these banknotes.
6. You may also please arrange to display the posters that will be supplied shortly at all your branches/ ATMs.
Principal Chief General Manager