- No hikes in passenger fares and freight tariff.
- 52 new train services to meet increasing demand of passengers, increase in frequency of 12 train services, extension of 21 trains and introduction of some special trains.
- Railways will not be privatized, but private sector participation welcomed through PPP route.
- A Special Task Force to clear proposals for investments within 100 days to be set up
- Service charges on e-tickets reduced
- E-ticket vans to be extended to Government Medical College Hospitals, Courts, Universities, IT hubs, IITs and IIMs
- SMS updates of reservation status and movement of wagons
- Ticket centres to be opened at district headquarters and village panchayats
- 100% concession for cancer patients along with an escort
- Modern luggage trolleys with uniformed attendants to assist senior citizens and women passengers
- Six clean bottling plants to provide cheaper, clean drinking water to passengers
New trains and services
- Mumbai to get 101 new suburban train services
- Sanskriti Express, across the country, to mark 150th birth anniversary of Rabindranath Tagore,
- Matribhoomi Express trains for ladies in Kolkata, Chennai, New Delhi and Mumbai
- Karmabhoomi unreserved trains for common people between Darbhanga-Mumbai, Guwahati-Mumbai and New Jalpaiguri-Amritsar.
- Janmabhoomi Trains specially for uniformed persons, between Ahmedabad and Udhampur,
- Bharat Tirth Trains for tourists connecting popular sites in different parts of the country
- Four new Duronto trains between Chandigarh and Amritsar, between Chennai and Coimbatore, between Puri and Howrah and between Howrah and Digha.
- Double-decker coaches to be introduced in two trains each from Delhi and Kolkata
- Concession in freight charges for food-grains and domestic use kerosene
- Allotment of iron ore rakes would be accessible through the web. RFID technology to be introduced for tracking of wagons
- Freight loading target for 2010-11 fixed at 944 million tonnes, 54 million tonnes more than the current year’s revised target.
- Target set to build 25,000 kms of new lines over next 10 years. 1000 kms every year
- National High Speed Rail Authority proposed to plan high speed rail corridor
- North-sout, east-west dedicated freight corridors to be created
- Chittaranjan Locomotive Works capacity would to be augmented from 200 to 275 engines a year;
- Centre for Railway Research to be set up at IIT-Kharagpur;
- New Design, Development and Testing Facility at Bangalore
- Railways to set up 10 auto ancillary hubs in PPP mode
- First rail line in Andaman and Nicobar Islands to connect Port Blair to Diglipur
- 94 stations to be upgraded as Adarsh Stations, 10 more stations to be upgraded as World Class Stations
- Multi-level parking complexes through PPP route
Safety & Security issues
- All unmanned Level Crossings (LCs) to be manned within five years
- Automatic fire and smoke detection system to be introduced in 20 trains
- 12 companies of women RPF personnel, ‘Mahila Vahini’, for the security of women passengers
- Rs.41,426 crore plan outlay proposed, allocation for new lines increased to Rs.2,848 crore from Rs.4,411 crore
- More money to improve passenger amenities – Rs.1,302 crore in comparision to Rs.923 crore in 2009-10
- For FY11, gross traffic receipts projected at Rs 94,800 crore.
- For FY11, estimated Railways’ dividend payout to exchequer at Rs 6,608 crore
- Railway revenue through branding/advertising to go up from Rs.150 crore to Rs.1,000
- Houses for all rail employees in next 10 years
- 522 hospitals, 50 Kendriya Vidyalayas, 10 residential schools, model degree colleges, technical and management institutes for railway employees
- Five Railway Sports academies to be set up at Delhi, Secunderabad, Chennai, Kolkata and Mumbai.
- Railways to run special trains for the Commonwealth Games in Delhi
- No examination fee for women, minority and economically backward class candidates for Railway Recruitment Boards’ exams
- Question papers now will be made available in local state languages besides Hindi, Urdu and English, examinations will be held on the same day in all regions
- Railways to employ one member of family whose land is requisitioned for railway projects
- Railways to set up Rabindra Museum in Howrah and Geetanjali Museum in Bolpur — both in West Bengal
Download Speech of Mamata Banerjee introducing the Railway Budget 2010-11 on 24th February 2010