We all do live, work, entail, access digital era, hence it’s too important us to know the digital solutions in case any fraudulent activity or crime committed. Digital Era is a period where is a shift process occurs from industry based to information technology based. Economy using computer or other technology devices as medium or communication.
The Digital Era can be seen as the development of an evolutionary system in which knowledge turnover is not only very high, but also increasingly out of the control of humans, making it a time in which our lives become more difficult to manage.
The social and economic implications of the Digital Era are huge and will increase as technological functionality becomes more knowledge-based, our everyday lives and understanding of ourselves become more linked to it, and it takes on a ‘life’ of its own. Simultaneously, increases risk of online fraud, transgression and crimes.
Now, Government of India taken an initiative to facilitate victims/complainants to report cyber-crime complaints online with a digital platform i.e. National Cyber Crime Reporting Portal. All the reported complaints are dealt by respective State/UT police authorities based on the information provided by the complainant for necessary action and should not be treated as an FIR.
State /UT authorities are responsible for appropriate action on the complaints reported on the portal.
In general cybercrime may be defined as “Any unlawful act where computer or communication device or computer network is used to commit or facilitate the commission of crime”.
This portal caters all types of cyber-crime complaints including complaints pertaining to online Child Pornography (CP), Child Sexual Abuse Material (CSAM) or sexually explicit content such as Rape/Gang Rape (CP/RGR) content and other cyber-crimes such as mobile crimes, online and social media crimes, online financial frauds, ransomware, hacking, cryptocurrency crimes and online cyber trafficking.
The portal also provides an option of reporting an anonymous complaint for reporting online Child Pornography (CP) or sexually explicit content such as Rape/Gang Rape (RGR) content.
Learn about Cybercrimes:
Cybercrime includes: Child Pornography, Cyber Bullying, Cyber stalking, Cyber Grooming, Online Job Fraud, Online Sextortion, Vishing, Smshing, SIM Swap Scam, Credit/Debit card fraud, Impersonation and identity theft, Phishing, Spamming, Ransomware, Data Breach, Website Defacement, Denial of Services (DoS), Distributed Denial of Service (DDoS), Espionage, Online Drug Trafficking, Cryptojacking, Pharming, Cyber-Squatting Child Sexually Abusive Material (CSAM) refers to material containing sexual image in any form, of a child who is abused or sexually exploited. Section 67 (B) of IT Act states that “it is punishable for publishing or transmitting of material depicting children in sexually explicit act, etc. in electronic form.
Type of Complaints:
1) Report Crime related to Women/Child–Under this section, we can report complaints pertaining to online Child Pornography (CP), Child Sexual Abuse Material (CSAM) or sexually explicit content such as Rape/Gang Rape (CP/RGR) content.
2) Report Other Cyber-crimes–Under this option, you can report complaints pertaining to cybercrimes such as mobile crimes, online and social media crimes, online financial frauds, ransomware, hacking, cryptocurrency crimes and online cyber trafficking.
Reporting of cybercrimes on the portal:
1. Go to official website www.cybercrime.gov.in
2. Register yourself using your name and valid Indian mobile number.
3. You will receive a One Time Password (OTP) on your mobile number. The OTP remains valid for 30 minutes only.
4. Once successfully register your mobile number on the portal, you will be able to report the complaint.
5. Report anonymously- You can report crimes related to online Child Pornography/ Rape or Gang Rape (CP/RGR) content anonymously. You do not need to provide any personal information. Information related to the complaint should be accurate and complete.
6. Choose Report and Track-In this option, You should provide required information such as name, phone number, email address, details of the complaint and necessary information supporting the complaint.
7. Report Other Cybercrimes” option available on the portal to report other cybercrimes such as mobile crimes, online and social media crimes, online financial frauds, ransomware, hacking, cryptocurrency crimes and online cyber trafficking.
8. Once your complaint is submitted, you will receive a confirmation message in the portal itself. In case, you have filed a complaint through “Report and Track” option or “Report Other Cybercrime” section available on the portal, you will receive a SMS and an e-mail with a complaint reference number on your registered mobile number and e-mail id.
9. Once submitted, the complainant has the option of download a PDF copy of the complaint filed on the portal.
> The complainant must mandatorily select the Category of crime and their State of residence to register their complaint. The phone number of the Complainant is automatically picked as per the number shared during login.
> Complainant also has the option to identify the platform where the content was shared/noticed- for example, common platforms such as Facebook, YouTube, and Instagram, etc. The complainant will need to add the URL/ ID of account where content was noticed/ shared from or the phone number from where the message was received on instant messaging apps.
> The complainant can share a link to CP/ CSAM/ RGR content or Obscene content as well as upload artefacts (common file types such as images, video’s, documents, PDF etc.) as evidence.
> A description column is available for the complainant to add necessary details related to their complaint and evidences uploaded.
“Simplicity is about subtracting the obvious and adding the meaningful.”-John Maeda
DISCLAIMER: Views expressed are that of the author based on the information/data as on the date of compilation by author for general informational use of the reader and should not be basis for action. For any actions expert opinion must be sought separately, author shan’t be liable for any actions/omission opinions framed by the user on the basis of this article in any circumstances.