Employees’ Provident Fund Organization, India, Ministry of Labour & Employment, Government of India has issued FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS ON EPF ADVANCE TO FIGHT COVID-19 PANDEMIC Dated 26/04/2020.


Q1: What is the process for change in name on marriage of a woman member against UAN when changes are made in Aadhaar?

Ans. The name change process if the Aadhar data is changed is similar to other change requests. Member has to apply online and employer will digitally approve the request. The correction request can be submitted online or offline (joint request) along with a copy of the marriage certificate or such other documents which can prove that only the name of  the member has changed from before marriage. Documents like school records  containing  Father’s name and Date of birth or PAN taken before marriage etc. are a useful to show that only name has changed after marriage.

Q2: The link ‘Know your UAN’ is not available on unified portal. Is  approaching  employer for this the only option?

Ans. Visit unified member portal athttps://unifiedportal-mem.epfindia.gov.in/memberinterface

  • Select Member ID, Aadhaar or PAN
  • Enter details such as name, date of birth, mobile number and e-mail id as per EPFO records
  • Click on the “Get Authorization Pin”option
  • A Pin will be sent to your mobile number registered with EPFO
  • Enter the Pin and your UAN will be sent to the mobile number

Q.3: I have already applied advance for illness in March 2020 which is pending. I want    to apply for advance to fight COVID pandemic now. What should Ido?

Ans. During pendency of any other advance, the application for COVID-19 claim is permitted.

Q.4: KYC updation needs approval by Employer by using his DSC. When  Establishment is closed and there is no Employer, who is to approve the same?

Ans. The approval of KYC by employer is an online facility which can be operated irrespective  of the location. Please request the employer to approve the KYC.

Q5: For filing of  claim a copy of  cheque with name of member or copy of pass book is  to be uploaded. Member does not have name on his cheque leaf and it is  now  difficult  to get it from Bank. Even going to bank and getting an attested copy of bank statement  is not easy as Bank seafarer way. What is the other option that can be made available?

Ans. As per prevailing instructions it is mandatory to upload a cheque leaf containing the  printed name of the member, or the first page of the bank Passbook or bank statement containing the name, account number and IFSC. This is required to ensure that the bank account number upload din the KYC is correct and erroneous payments area voided.

Q.6: I have worked for two companies and working in third one now. How to get PF accumulations of earlier companies transferred to present one  so that I can file claim  for COVID advance? 

Ans. In case the name, date of birth and gender in all the accounts is same, the member can apply online for transfer through his login. The present UAN should be validated with Aadhar.   In case of difference once he gets the basic details corrected in other accounts, he can apply online.

Q.7: You claim  to settle COVID advance claims within 72 hours? It is over 4 days when    I applied. I have still not received the money in my bank account.Why?

Ans. EPFO settles claims for availing advance to fight COVID-19 pandemic within 03 working days. After processing of the claims, cheque is sent to the bank for crediting amount to bank account of the claimant. Bank usually take additional one to three working days to credit advance in your bank account.

Q.8: I live in city A and work in City B. However, Head Office of my company is in city

Which EPF office has to be contacted for any matter?

Ans. You should approach EPF office where your establishment is registered. To find  concerned EPF office where your establishment is registered visit https://unifiedportal-epfo.epfindia.gov.in/publicPortal/no-auth/misReport/home/loadEstSearchHome

  • Fill in establishment PF code orname
  • Enter captcha and click onsearch
  • Establishment details will appear in tabularformat.
  • Confirm the establishment Id, Name and Address and in column four EPF office name

Q.9: I need to contact the EPF office through email or phone. Please  provide  me  contact details of EPF office.

Ans. Please visit https://www.epfindia.gov.in/site_en/Contact_us.php. Click on the Zonal

office under which EPF Regional/District office falls>> Click on concerned Regional/District office to get their contact details.

Q.10: I have applied for COVID epidemic advance. How to check status of my claim?

Ans. Visit https://passbook.epfindia.gov.in/MemberPassBook/Login. Click online services>>track claim status.

Q.11: I work in a company in Jammu which was covered under J&K PF Act. Since last year this company is covered under Employees Provident Fund Act, 1952. Can I file  claim for fighting COVID pandemic?

Ans. Yes member can apply for advance from the contributions received by EPFO.

Q.12: Why your toll-free number is not accessible?

Ans. Services  will be resumed shortly. Pending resumption of services, you may contact us    on our Facebook and twitter handle “socialepfo”. You can raise your grievances at epfigms.gov.in.

Q.13: I have a balance of Rs 100000 in my PF account and applied for  Rs  75000  advance for COVID. At the rate of 75%, I should get Rs. 75000. Why a much lesser amount has been credited to my account?

Ans. The 75% of the amount standing to your credit is maximum permissible limit and  the  same is applicable if it is lesser than basic  wages and dearness allowances for three months.   If 75% of the balance is more than three months  wages,  advance equal to three months  wages (Basic+DA) is sanctioned as per the rules. If your monthly wage is Rs.20000, the  entitled advance amount is Rs 60000 only. If the monthly wages are Rs 30000, the amount of advance will be restricted to Rs. 75000.

Q.14: I am not able to file COVID claim. Please help me.

The process is also noted below:

a. Login to Member Interface of Unified Portal (https://unifiedportalmem.epfindia.gov.in/memberinterface)

b. Go to Online Services>>Claim (Form-31,19,10C &10D)

c. Enter your Bank Account andverify

d. Click on “Proceed for Online Claim”

e. Select PF Advance (Form 31) from the drop down

f. Select purpose as “Outbreak of pandemic (COVID-19)” from the drop down

g. Enter amount required and Upload scanned copy of cheque and enter your address

h. Click on “Get Aadhaar OTP”

i. Enter the OTP received on Aadhaar linked mobile.

j. Claim is submitted

Q.15: I have balance available in my account. How many times I can  get  advance  to fightCOVID?

Ans. The advance to fight COVID-19 pandemic is available once only.

Q.16: What is the last date for applying COVID advance?

Ans. The facility for availing advance to fight COVID-19 pandemic will be available till the pandemic prevails.

Q.17: I have two different UANs. The first UAN is linked with one PF member ID and the second UAN is linked with 2 different member IDs. Can I  avail  COVID  advance  benefits? How to get maximum benefit in thiscase.

Ans. Yes. In order to get maximum benefits, you are requested to transfer all the previous services (linked with multiple member IDs) to the latest member ID. This can be done by filing   a transfer claim. Once the service is successfully transferred your entire PF corpus will reflect against the latest member ID. Subsequently you can file COVID advance claim to reap maximum benefit.

Q.18: My COVID claim has been rejected due to member details mismatch. How can I rectify this issue?

Ans. You can update your member details by logging into member e-sewa portal available at https://unifiedportal-mem.epfindia.gov.in/memberinterface/. Once the details are updated you can file the claim once again.

Q.19: How can I file COVID claim through UMANG app?


Step 1: Open Umang app Step 2: Select EPFO

Step 3: Select “Request for Advance (COVID-19)”

Step 4: Enter your UAN details and click on ‘Get OTP’ to get one-time password. Use this OTP to login in your account.

Step 5: Enter the OTP and click on login. Once you are logged in you are required to enter    the last four digits of your bank account and select the member ID from the drop-down menu. Click on “Proceed forclaim”

Step 6: Enter your address. Click on ‘Next’.

Step 7: Upload the cheque image with your account number and name printed on it. Once all the details are entered, your claim will be successfully filed.

Q.20: I have left the service but not yet availed the final PF withdrawal benefits.  Can I  still avail the COVID advance?

Ans. Yes. COVID advance can be filed by any PF subscriber. Since you have not withdrawn your PF funds you are still a PF member.

About Author:  CS Lalit Rajput (Partner at Xcede Consultech LLP) and can be reached at [email protected]

Author Bio

More Under Corporate Law


  1. manish singh negi says:

    I already claimed PF under “OUTBREAK OF EPIDEMIC” can i claim again as because earlier by mistake i entered wrong amt, can i claim again for the remaining amt again.

    Example : I want to claim 10000, by mistake i entered 5000 so can i claim again for 5000.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Search Posts by Date

June 2021