RPCD.CO RRB.AML.No. 6723 /03.05.28(A)/2011-12
January 5, 2012
All Regional Rural Banks (RRBs)
Implementation of Section 51-A of UPA, 1967 Updates of the UNSCR 1267 (1999) and 1989 (2011) Committee’s Al Qaida Sanctions List
Please refer to our circular letter RPCD.CO.RRB.AML.BC.NO.51 /03.05.33 (E)/2011-12 dated January 2, 2012. We have since received from Government of India, Ministry of External Affairs, UNP Division copies of notes forwarded by the Chairman of UN Security Council’s 1267/ 1989 Committee (copy enclosed) regarding changes made in the “Al-Qaida Sanctions List”, i.e. list of Individuals and entities linked to Al-Qaida, as detailed below:
2. RRBs are required to update the list of individuals/entities as circulated by the Reserve Bank and before opening any new account, it should be ensured that the name/s of the proposed customer does not appear in the list. Further, RRBs should scan all existing accounts to ensure that no account is held by or linked to any of the entities or individuals included in the list.
3. RRBs are advised to strictly follow the procedure laid down in the UAPA Order dated August 27, 2009 enclosed to our circular RPCD . CO. RRB. No. 39 / 03.05.33(E) /2009-10 dated November 05, 2009 and ensure meticulous compliance to the Order issued by the Government.
4. As far as freezing of funds, financial assets or economic resources or related services held in the form of bank accounts of the designated individuals/entities are concerned, action should be taken as detailed in paragraph 6 of the circular dated November 05, 2009, mentioned above.
5. The complete details of the said consolidated list are available on the UN website:
6. Compliance Officer/Principal Officer should acknowledge receipt of this letter to our Regional Office concerned.
Encls: As above