OFFICE OF THE COMMISSIONER OF CUSTOMS (NS-V)
SPECIAL INVESTIGATION & INTELLIGENCE BRANCH (IMP)
JAWAHARLAL NEHRU CUSTOM HOUSE, NHAVA SHEVA,
DIST- RAIGAD, MAHARASHTRA – 400 707.
Tel. No. 022-27244949, FAX: 022-27243303
F. No.SG/PN-01/2018-19 SIIB(I)/JNCH
Date: 10.09. 2018
PUBLIC NOTICE NO. 130/2018
Sub: Assessment and Examination on import of Computer parts and Accessories claimed / declared to be old but unused – reg.
As per Notification No. 35/2009-2014 of DGFT, the import of second hand personal computers/ laptops including their refurbished/reconditioned spares, photocopier machines/ digital multifunction print & copying machines are restricted to import in India. Further, the said goods are also covered under Schedule-I (Categories of Electrical and Electronics Equipments) of the E-Waste (Management) Rules, 2016.
2. In the recent past, investigation into import consignments of above goods has revealed the goods to be Old and Used in the guise of the declared/claimed Old & Unused.
3. In this regard, all the Docks Officers are being informed that if such consignment, i.e declared/claimed as Old & Unused, arrives then 100% examination of such goods is to be done. The examination of the goods must be done very carefully which will reveal the true nature of goods. Some identities are presence of oil/ grease, wear& tear (normal to usages), markings & scratches, type of packaging material, de-colouration of parts, re-furbished new parts different year of manufacturing etc.
4. The examination can be done on the basis of visual inspection. If everything is found in order then further necessary action can be taken and also photographs of the said goods must be taken immediately. Whereas, if something is noticed to be dubious then the Proper Officer could employ a Chartered Engineer for the examination, who is empanelled by the department vide Public Notice No.51/2015 dtd 30.06.2015.
5. If the goods are being examined by the Chartered Engineer then or by agencies appointed by DGFT he/ she must endorse (emphasis provided) the methodology which is used for testing the products in addition to the visual inspection to determine that the goods are old but unused. Certificate from the Chartered Engineer or by agencies appointed by DGFT without any scientific methodology supported with reason of such finding shall not be acceptable.
6. However, if the issue still could not be ascertained then the goods can be sent to any Govt. Labs for verification of the same.
7. In case of any difficulty, the specific issue may be brought to the notice of JC/Group or Appraising Mains (I).
(Vijay Singh Chauhan)
Commissioner of Customs, NS-V
Mumbai Customs Zone II