Phone : 25367033, 25367035, 25367036
Telegrams : MEDCONCIND, New Delhi
Fax : 0091-11-25367024
E-mail : [email protected]; [email protected]
Website : www.mciindia.org
Pocket- 14, Sector- 8,
Dwarka Phase – 1
MEDICAL COUNCIL OF INDIA
1. Dean/ Principals of all the Medical Colleges,
2. Director of all the hospitals (exclusive PG Institutions without medical colleges),
3. President, all the State Medical Councils.
4. Health Secretary of all the States.
5. The Director of Medical Education, all States with request to ensure compliance.
6. The Director of Health Services, all States with request to ensure compliance and inform about action taken.
Your kind attention is invited to circular no. MCI-211(2)(Gen.)/2012-Ethics/145183 dated 22.11.2012 & 18.01.2013.
The said circular had called upon the doctors practicing medicine to prescribe Drugs with Generic name as far as possible.
However, the clause 1.5 of the Indian Medical Council (Professional Conduct, Etiquette and Ethics) Regulations, 2002 has been amended in 2016 and notified in the Gazette of India on 21.09.2016, which reads as under:-
“1.5 – Use of Generic names of drugs: Every physician should prescribe drugs with generic names legibly and preferably in capital letters and he/she shall ensure that there is a rational prescription and use of drugs.”
All the Registered Medical Practitioners under the IMC Act are directed to comply with the aforesaid provisions of the Regulations without fail.
You are requested to give wide publicity of the above regulation to ensure that all the doctors practicing medicine under your jurisdiction comply with the regulation.”
All concerned are once again urged to take necessary steps for observance of the aforesaid provision of the Indian Medical Council (Professional Conduct, Etiquette and Ethics) Regulations, 2002 in its letter and spirit.
For any doctor found violating clause 1.5 of Ethics Regulation, suitable disciplinary action would be undertaken by the concerned SMC/ MCI.
(Dr. Reena Nayyar)
Relevant Instruction is as follows:-