Government of India
Ministry of Personnel,
Public Grievances and Pensions
(Department of Personnel and Training)
North Block, New Delhi
Dated the 24th June, 2016
Subject: Holidays to be observed in Central Government Offices during the Year 2017 reg.
It has been decided that the holidays as specified in the Annexure-I to this O.M. will be observed in all the Administrative Offices of the Central Government located at Delhi/New Delhi during the year 2017. In addition, each employee will also be allowed to avail himself/herself of any two holidays to be chosen by him/her out of the list of Restricted Holidays in Annexure-II
2. Central Government Administrative Offices located outside Delhi/New Delhi shall observe the following holidays compulsorily in addition to three holidays as per para 3.1 below:
In addition to the above 14 Compulsory holidays mentioned in para 2, three holidays shall be decided from the list indicated below by the Central Government Employees Welfare Coordination Committee in the State Capitals, if necessary, in consultation with Coordination Committees at other places in the State. The final list applicable uniformly to all Central Government offices within the concerned State shall be notified accordingly and no change can be carried out thereafter. It is also clarified that no change is permissible in regard to festivals and dates as indicated.
3.2 No substitute holiday should be allowed if any of the festival holidays initially declared subsequently happens to fall on a weekly off or any other non-working day or in the event of more than one festivals falling on the same day.
4. The list of Restricted Holidays appended to this. O.M. is meant for Central Government Offices located in Delhi /New Delhi. The Coordination Committees at the State Capitals may draw up separate list of Restricted Holidays keeping in view the occasions of local importance but the 9 occasions left over, after choosing the 3 variable holidays in para 3.1 above, are to be included in the list of restricted holidays.
5.1 For offices in Delhi I New Delhi, any change in the date of holidays in respect of Idu’l Fitr, Idu’l Zuha, Muharram and Id-e-Milad, if necessary, depending upon sighting of the Moon, would be declared by the Ministry of Personnel, Public Grievances and Pensions after ascertaining the position from the Govt. of NCT of Delhi (DCP, Special Branch, Delhi Police).
5.2 For offices outside Delhi I New Delhi, the Central Government Employees Welfare Coordination Committees at the State Capitals are authorised to change the date of holiday, if necessary, based on the decision of the concerned State Governments I Union Territories, in respect of Idu’l Fitr, ldu’l Zuha, Muharram and Id-e-Milad.
5.3 It may happen that the change of date of the above occasions has to be declared at a very short notice. In such a situation, announcement could be made through P.I.BIT.V./ A.I.R./ Newspapers and the Heads of Department I Offices of the Central Government may take action according to such an announcement without waiting for a formal order, about the change of date.
6. During 2017, Diwali (Deepavali) falls on Thursday, October 19, 2017 (Ashvina 28). In certain States, the practice is to celebrate the occasion a day in advance, i.e., on “Narakachaturdasi Day”. In view of this, there is no objection if holiday on account of Deepavali is observed on. “Naraka Chaturdasi Day (in place of Deepavali Day) for the Central Government Offices in a State if in that State that day alone is declared as a compulsory holiday for Diwali for the offices of the State Government.
7. Central Government Organisations which include industrial, commercial and trading establishments would observe upto 16 holidays in a year including three national holidays viz. Republic Day, Independence Day and Mahatma Gandhi’s birthday, as compulsory holidays. The remaining holidays/occasions may be determined by such establishments/ organisations themselves for the year 2017, subject to para 3.2 above.
8. Union Territory Administrations shall decide the list of holidays in terms of Instructions issued in this regard by the Ministry of Home Affairs.
9. In respect of Indian Missions abroad, the number of holidays may be notified in accordance with the instructions contained in this Department’s O.M. No. 12/5/2002-JCA dated 17th December, 2002. In other words, they will have the option to select 11(Eleven) holidays of their own only after including in the list, three National Holidays and Mahavir Jayanti, Id-ul Zuha (Ba.krid), Vijay Dashmi, Muharram, Guru Nanak Birthday and Milad un-Nabi (Id-e-Milad (Birthday of Prophet Mohammad) included in the list of compulsory holidays and falling on day of weekly off.
10. In respect of Banks, the holidays shall be regulated in terms of the extant instructions issued by the Department of Financial Services, Ministry of Finance.
11. Hindi version will follow
(K Salil Kumar)
Under Secretary (JCA)
LIST OF HOLIDAYS DURING THE YEAR 2017 FOR ADMINISTRATIVE OFFICES OF CENTRAL GOVERNMENT LOCATED AT DELHI / NEW DELHI
|S. No.||Holiday||Date||Saka Date||Day|
|1938 SAKA ERA|
|1||Republic Day||January 26||Magha 06||Thursday|
|2||Maha Shivaratr||February 24||Phalguna 05||Friday|
|1939 SAKA ERA|
|3.||Holi||March 13||Phalguna 22||Monday|
|4.||Ram Navami||April 04||Chaitra 14||Tuesday|
|5.||Mahavir Jayanti||April 09||Chaitra 19||Sunday|
|6.||Good Friday||April 14||Chaitra 24||Friday|
|7.||Buddha Purnima||May 10||Vaisakha 20||Wednesday|
|8.||Idul’Fitr||June 26||Ashadha 05||Monday|
|9.||Independence Day||August 15||Sarvana 24||Tuesday|
|10.||Id-ul-Zuha (Bakrid)||September 02||Bhadra 11||Saturday|
|11.||Dussehra||September 30||Asvina 08||Saturday|
|12.||Muharram||October 01||Asvina 09||Sunday|
|13.||Mahatma Gandhi’s Birthday||October 02||Asvina 10||Monday|
|14.||Diwali (Deepawali)||October 19||Asvina 28||Thursday|
|15.||Guru Nanak’s Birthday||November 04||Kartika 13||Saturday|
|16.||Milad-un-Nabi or ID-e-Milad (birthday of Prophet Mohammad)||December 02||Agrahayana 11||Saturday|
|17.||Christmas Day||December 25||Pausha 04||Monday|
LIST OF RESTRICTED HOLIDAYS DURING THE YEAR 2017 FOR ADMINISTRATIVE OFFICES OF CENTRAL GOVERNMENT LOCATED AT DELHI / NEW DELHI
|S. No.||Holiday||Date||Saka Date||Day|
|SAKA ERA 1938
|1.||New Year’s Day||January 01||Pausha 11||Sunday|
|2.||Guru Govind Singh’s Birthday||January 05||Pausha 15||Thursday|
|3.||Makar Sankranti||January 14||Pausha 24||Saturday|
|4.||Pongal||January 14||Pausha 24||Saturday|
|5.||Basant Panchami/Sri Panchami||February 01||Magha 12||Wednesday|
|6.||Guru Ravidas’s Bithday||February 10||Magha 21||Friday|
|7||Shivaji Jayanti||February 19||Magha 30||Sunday|
|8.||Swami Dayanand Saraswati Jayanti||February 21||Phalguna 02||Tuesday|
|9.||Holika Dahan / Dolyatra||March 12||Phalguna 21||Sunday|
|SAKA ERA 1939|
|10.||Chaitra Sukladi / Gaudi Padava / Ugadi / Cheti Chand||March 28||Chaittra 07||Tuesday|
|11.||Hazarat Ali’s Birthday||April 11||Chaitra 21||Tuesday|
|12.||Vaisakhi / Vishu||April 13||Chaitra 23||Thursday|
|13.||Mesadi||April 14||Chaitra 24||Friday|
|14.||Vaisakhadi (Bengal) / Bahag Bihu (Assam)||April 15||Chaitra 25||Saturday|
|15.||Easter Sunday||April 16||Chaitra 26||Sunday|
|16.||Guru Rabindranath’s Birthday||May 09||Vaisakha 19||Tuesday|
|17.||Jamat-UI-Vida||June 23||Ashadha 02||Friday|
|18||Rath Yatra||June 25||Ashadha 04||Sunday|
|19.||Raksha Bandhan||August 07||Sravana 16||Monday|
|20.||Janmashtami (Vaishnav)||August 15||Sravana 24||Tuesday|
|21.||Parsi New Year’s day/Nauraj||August 17||Sravana 26||Thursday|
|22.||Vinayaka Chaturthi / Ganesh Chaturthi||August 25||Bhadra 03||Friday|
|23.||Onam||September 04||Bhadra 13||Monday|
|24.||Dussehra (Maha Saptami) (Additional)||September 27||Asvina 05||Wednesday|
|25.||Dussehra (Maha Ashtami) (Additional)||September 28||Asvina 06||Thursday|
|26.||Dussehra (Maha Navmi)||September 29||Asvina 07||Friday|
|27.||Maharishi Valmiki’s Birthday||October 08||Asvina 13||Thursday|
|28.||Karaka Chaturthi (Karva Chouth)||October 08||Asvina 16||Sunday|
|29.||Deepavali (South India)||October 18||Asvina 28||Friday|
|30.||Naraka Chaturdasi||October 18||Asvina 26||Wednesday|
|31.||Govardhan Puja||October 20||Asvina 28||Friday|
|32.||Bhai Duj||October 21||Asvina 29||Saturday|
|33.||Pratihar Sashthi or Surya Sashthi (Chhat Puja)||October 26||Kartika 04||Thursday|
|34.||Guru Teg Bahadur’s Birthday||November 24||Agrahayana 03||Friday|
|35.||Christmas Eve||December 24||Pausha 03||Sunday|