After incorporating the new facilities on income tax e-filing portal, one can file his/her income tax returns directly on the department website without using any software.
Steps to file Income Tax Returns without using software:
1. Log on to www.incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in
2. Click on login option
3. Once you click the login option, you will be asked to provide User ID, password and Date of Birth for login into your account.
4. Once you login into your account, click on the ‘e-File’ menu and click ‘Income Tax Return’ link.
5. On Income Tax Return Page:
6. Click on ‘Continue’
7. Read the Instructions carefully and Fill all the applicable and mandatory fields of the Online ITR Form.
Note: To avoid loss of data/rework due session time out, Click on ‘Save Draft’ button periodically to save the entered ITR details as a draft. The saved draft will be available for 30 days from the date of saving or till the date of filing the return or till there is no change in the XML schema of the notified ITR (Whichever is earlier).
8. Choose the appropriate Verification option in the ‘Taxes Paid and Verification’ tab. Choose any one of the following option to verify the Income Tax Return:
9. Click on ‘Preview and Submit’ button, Verify all the data entered in the ITR.
10. ‘Submit’ the ITR.
(The author, S. Raghava Reddy, is a Chartered Accountant from Hyderabad. He can be reached at –firstname.lastname@example.org)
Republished with Amendments