Clarifications on some commonly asked queries pertaining to elected representatives of ICAI and the general members of ICAI – (29-08-2015)
The Council at its 345th Meeting held on 14th-16th August, 2015, while considering recommendations of Ethical Standards Board on the below mentioned issues, decided as under :-
- It is permissible for the elected representatives of the ICAI to reply to the general queries of members on email, mentioning their respective designation(s) held in ICAI at present and/or in past along with their photograph as signature of the email. Likewise, it is also permissible for the general members to reply to the members’ queries on email, along with their photograph as signature of the email.
- It is permissible for elected representatives of the ICAI, as well as for the general members of the ICAI to put their photograph on any electronic media to enable their easy identification. However, there is no change with regard to the existing restriction on printing of photographs on official stationery like visiting cards, letterheads etc.
- It is permissible for the elected representatives of the ICAI to either mention their designation(s) in ICAI , as stated above or alternatively to use their firm name/professional designation in communications sent on emails. However, the simultaneous use or mention of designation(s) of elected representative of ICAI and of the firm name /professional designation , is not permissible. Further, in case of mass emails sent either by the elected representatives of ICAI or the general members of ICAI, while using the firm name , the expression “chartered accountants” is not permissible.
- The elected representatives of the ICAI may share decisions (with members/students) taken by the Council. However, mere discussions, recorded in any mode , e.g. verbatim or audio tapes etc. , should not be shared. It would be the responsibility of the representative sharing the decision to ensure the completeness and correctness of the decision so shared.
- It is permissible for the elected representatives of the ICAI as well as for general members to share the Institute’s events/Pictures/CA Logo and banners through SMS/ emails /Websites, including the social networking sites , with members/students/non-members/public . However, the stand alone use of image of the ICAI Emblem is not permissible, except where it incidentally forms part of the background while appearing on a picture/banner etc.
- The permission granted under para 1 to the elected representatives of ICAI regarding use of the photograph and mention of the past /present designation(s) held in ICAI as well as the permission to general members regarding use of photographs , shall extend to the eventualities mentioned in para 5 also.
Note: For the purposes of this Announcement, the elected representative(s) of ICAI shall mean and include the elected members of the Central Council , elected members of the Regional Councils and of the Managing Committees of Branches of Regional Council.
The above decisions shall come into force with immediate effect.