RBI’s INSTRUCTIONS ON APPLICATION OF COUNTER-MEASURES TO PROTECT INTERNATIONAL FINANCIAL SYSTEM FROM ONGOING MONEY LAUNDERING & TERRORIST FINANCING RISKS
Anti-Money Laundering (AML) standards/Combating the Financing of Terrorism (CFT) Standards – Money Changing Activities
A.P. (DIR SERIES) CIRCULAR NO. 63, DATED 20-5-2011
Please refer to our A.P. (DIR Series) Circular No. 49 [A.P. (FL/RL Series) Circular No. 11], dated April 6, 2011 on risks arising from the deficiencies in AML/CFT regime of Iran and Democratic People’s Republic of Korea (DPRK).
2. Financial Action Task Force (FATF) has issued a further Statement on February 25, 2011 on the subject (copy enclosed) calling its members and other jurisdictions to apply counter-measures to protect the international financial system from the ongoing and substantial money laundering and terrorist financing (ML/FT) risks emanating from Iran and Democratic People’s Republic of Korea (DPRK).
3. Authorised Persons are accordingly advised to consider the information contained in the enclosed Statement.
4. Authorised Persons may bring the contents of this circular to the notice of their constituents and customers concerned.
5. Please advise your Principal Officer to acknowledge receipt of this circular letter.
6. The directions contained in this Circular have been issued under section 10(4) and section 11(1) of the Foreign Exchange Management Act, 1999 (42 of 1999) and also under the, Prevention of Money Laundering Act, (PMLA), 2002, as amended by Prevention of Money Laundering (Amendment) Act, 2009 and Prevention of Money-Laundering (Maintenance of Records of the Nature and Value of Transactions, the Procedure and Manner of Maintaining and Time for Furnishing Information and Verification and Maintenance of Records of the Identity of the Clients of the Banking Companies, Financial Institutions and Intermediaries) Rules, 2005 as amended from time to time. Non-compliance with the guidelines would attract penal provisions of the Acts concerned or Rules made there under.