1. What is an eWay Bill?
E-Way Bill is an Electronic Way bill for movement of goods to be generated on the e-Way Bill Portal. A GST registered person cannot transport goods in a vehicle whose value exceeds Rs. 50,000 (Single Invoice/bill/delivery challan) without an e-way bill that is generated on ewaybillgst.gov.in.
Alternatively, E-way bill can also be generated or cancelled through SMS, Android App and by site-to-site integration through API.
When an eway bill is generated, a unique E-way Bill Number (EBN) is allocated and is available to the supplier, recipient, and the transporter.
2.When Should E-Way Bill be issued?
E-Way bill will be generated when there is a movement of goods in a vehicle/ conveyance of value more than Rs. 50,000 (either each Invoice or in aggregate of all invoices in a vehicle/conveyance) –
For this purpose, a supply may be either of the following:
1. Sale – sale of goods and payment made
2. Transfer – branch transfers for instance
3. Barter/Exchange – where the payment is by goods instead of in money
Therefore, eWay Bills must be generated on the common portal for all these types of movements. For certain specified Goods, the eway bill needs to be generated mandatorily even if the value of the consignment of Goods is less than Rs. 50,000:
1. Inter-State movement of Goods by the Principal to the Job-worker by Principal/ registered Job-worker,
2. Inter-State Transport of Handicraft goods by a dealer exempted from GST registration.
3. Who should generate E-way Bill?
Note: If a transporter is transporting multiple consignments in a single conveyance, they can use the form GST EWB-02 to produce a consolidated e-way bill, by providing the e-way bill numbers of each consignment. If both the consignor and the consignee have not created an e-way bill, then the transporter can do so * by filling out PART A of FORM GST EWB-01 on the basis of the invoice/bill of supply/delivery challan given to them.
4. Cases when e-Way bill is Not Required-
In the following cases it is not necessary to generate e-Way Bil:
1. The mode of transport is non-motor vehicle
2. Goods transported from Customs port, airport, air cargo complex or land customs station to Inland Container Depot (ICD) or Container Freight Station (CFS) for clearance by Customs.
3. Goods transported under Customs supervision or under customs seal
4. Goods transported under Customs Bond from ICD to Customs port or from one custom station to another.
5. Transit cargo transported to or from Nepal or Bhutan
6. Movement of goods caused by defence formation under Ministry of defence as a consignor or consignee
7. Empty Cargo containers are being transported
8. Consignor transporting goods to or from between place of business and a weighbridge for weighment at a distance of 20 kms, accompanied by a Delivery challan.
9. Goods being transported by rail where the Consignor of goods is the Central Government, State Governments or a local authority.
10. Goods specifed as exempt from E-Way bill requirements in the respective State/Union territory GST Rules.
11. Transport of certain specified goods- Includes the list of exempt supply of goods, Annexure to Rule 138(14), goods treated as no supply as per Schedule III, Certain schedule to Central tax Rate notifications.
Note: Part B of E-Way Bill is not required to be filled where the distance between the consigner or consignee and the transporter is less than 50 Kms and transport is within the same state.
6. The Validity of E-Way Bill–
An e-way bill is valid for periods as listed below, which is based on the distance travelled by the goods. Validity is calculated from the date and time of generation of e-way bill-
|Type of conveyance||Distance||Validity of EWB|
|Other than Over dimensional cargo||Less Than 100 Kms||1 Day|
|For every additional 100 Kms or part thereof||additional 1 Day|
|For Over dimensional cargo||Less Than 20 Kms||1 Day|
|For every additional 20 Kms or part thereof||additional 1 Day|
Validity of E-way bill can be extended also. The generator of such Eway bill has to either four hours before expiry or within four hours after its expiry can extend E-way bill validity.