Amendments in Composition Scheme under GST and inclusion of Supplier of Service under the Scheme.
With a first meeting in a new calendar year of 2019 GST council has come up with a relaxing exhale for MSME units and small traders by introducing some essential changes to the policy and procedure under the GST Act. Some important and “must know” features are as follows:
1. Threshold Limit: Council has provided two thresholds limits i.e. INR 20 Lakh and INR 40 Lakh, for registration and payment of GST for the supply of Goods and State Governments has to decide the respective limits. There is no change in case of “Service Provider” as the threshold stands continue at INR 20 Lakh and in special category states INR 10 Lakh.
Existing limit – INR 20 Lakh
New Limit – INR 40 Lakh
*Only for supplier of “Goods”
2. Turnover Limit under Composition Scheme: The annual turnover limit for the preceding financial year in order to avail the composition scheme benefit has been increased from INR 1 Crore to INR 1.5 Crore. However, the special category states are provided a time limit of one week whether to accept the new amendment or not.
Existing limit – INR 1 Crore
New Limit – INR 1.5 Crore
*Annual Turnover of preceding financial year.
3. Composition Scheme for Service Provider: Council has decided to provide a benefit of composition scheme to service providers also, which was not so till now. The threshold limit of turnover in the preceding financial year would be INR 50 Lakh for supplier of services or mixed suppliers with a Tax Rate of 6% (3% CGST + 3% SGST). There will be liability of filing one Annual Return with paying taxes on quarterly basis with a prescribed declaration.
Threshold Limit – INR 50 Lakhs
Applicable to – Supplier of Service or Mixed supplier i.e. provider of goods as well as services
Tax Rate: 3% CGST + 3% SCGS (Total 6%).
4. Simplification of Compliance: Compliance norms has been simplified under composition scheme, as there would be now only Annual Return filing with liability of paying tax quarterly along with a declaration.
Only Annual Return filing
Payment of Tax quarterly
5. Natural Calamity Revenue Mobilization: Council has approved a levy of Cess on Intra-State Supply of Goods and Services within the state of Kerala maximum upto 1% for maximum 2 years
Additional Cess- >= 1%
Maximum for 2 years
Only in Kerela
6. Effective Date: This amendment shall come into force with effect from 01st April, 2019.