Government of India
Ministry of Road Transport and Highways
Transport Bhawan, New Delhi — 110001.
Dated: 27th August, 2010
Subject: – Guidelines for implementation of electronic mode of grant/renew of national permit for goods carriages
1. As you are aware, the new National Permit System has been made effective from 8.5.2010 in accordance with Central Motor Vehicle(amendment)Rules,1989 notified on 7.5.2010. Electronic system of grant of National Permit has been developed in consultation with MC and it has now been decided to implement the electronic system w.e.f. /5.9.2010. A copy of the guidelines containing detailed procedure to be followed for implementation of the electronic system is enclosed herewith. The guideline is also available on our website i.e morth.nic.in.
2. It may be noted that as per the new electronic system, consolidated. fee can be deposited at any branch of the Sill across the country w.e.f 15.9.20111–drily electronic challans will he accepted. by SBI from that date i.e. 15.09.2010.
3. You are requested to take necessary steps to implement the new electronic system of grant of national permit from 15.9.2010. Wide publicity may be given particularly among local transporters to educate them about the new electronic system so as to facilitate smooth implementation of the same. You are also requested to issue appropriate instructions to the field agencies accordingly. Action taken in this regard may be intimated to this Ministry.
Joint Secretary to the Government of IndiaOnline GST Certification Course by TaxGuru & MSME- Click here to Join
Guidelines for implementation of electronic mode of grant / renew of national permit for goods carriages.
1) All the national permit issuing authorities are required to be computerized and provided with access to Internet or at-least are compliant to Vahan software provided by NIIC.
2) The transporter will apply for a new national permit or renewal of the national permit in terms of the forms specified under Central Motor Vehicle Rules as amended on 07.05.2010.
3) The transport authorities will verify the content of the application and other requisites and may collect Rs.1,000/- towards authorization fee.
4) The transport authorities will upload certain data on the national permit web portal (https://vahan.nic.in/npermit/) and advise the transporter to make payment of Rs.15,000f- towards consolidated fee, if everything found to be ok.
5) The transport authorities are also required to advise the transporters to access the national permit portal (https://vahan.nic.in/npermit/) and select the payment mode i.e., either by cash or internet banking.
6) In case of internet banking, the transporters will be benefited by the fact that the confirmation of payment would be done on real time basis and the transporter could get back to the RTO for grant / renew of national permit as the case may be.
7) In case of payment by cash, the transporter will get a print out of automatically fitted challan generated through the national permit portal. He will deposit the cash through the challan at any branch of the SBI and get the stamped copy of the receipt of the challan.
8) The actual electronic confirmation of the payment by cash will be uploaded by the SBI on T+1 day. Thus in case of cash payment, the transporter has to wait for at least one more day after depositing the amount to get electronic confirmation of the payment which is a pre-requisite to check fraudulent practices.
9) The transporters would then approach the transport authorities for grant / renew of the national permit. The concerned transport authorities will then log on to the national permit portal and verify the status of the payment and subsequently issue the permit electronically printed on stationery having hologram of the issuing State / UT.
10) For the purpose of computing the validity of the national permit, the date of authorization shall be the reference date.
11) The Ministry is in the process of developing the SMS component of the software to assist the enforcement authorities of the transport departments to check the genuineness of the national permit through SMS. Once the system is developed and tested, details of the same will be intimated to the States / UTs in due course.
12) Wide publicity to the new electronic system may be given so as to educate the transporters as well as all the concerned transport authorities. In case of any doubt in the software, State NIC authorities may be consulted. Feedback on the national permit web portal may be communicated to the following address:-
Dr. Mahesh Chandra, , DDG, N1C at mchandra®nic.in
13) The transports authorities will compile the information relating to the number of permits issued or renewed on a monthly basis and send the same to the State Transport Commissioner / Principal Secretary (Transport) by 2nd of the succeeding month. The State Transport Commissioner / Principal Secretary (Transport) after compiling the State-wise information, send the same through e-mail to the Ministry at firstname.lastname@example.org by 5th of every month. It may be noted that this would facilitate early distribution of funds to the States.
14) On verification of the information received from the States / UTs and MIS from the SB1, funds will be released to the States through RBI, Nagpur on a monthly basis.