Government of India
Ministry of Personnel, Public Grievances and Pensions
Department of Personnel and Training
New Delhi, the 1st December, 2016
Subject: Declaration of Assets and Liabilities by public servants under amended section 44 of the Lokpal and Lokayuktas Act, 2013 — reg.
The undersigned is directed to refer to this Department’s OM of even number dated 29th July, 2016 (copy enclosed) regarding the furnishing of information relating to assets and liabilities by public servants under section 44 of the Lokpal and Lokayuktas Act, 2013 (the Act).
2. In this regard it is stated that with the passing of the Lokpal and Lokayuktas (Amendment) Act, 2016 (copy enclosed), the Public Servants (Furnishing of Information and Annual Return of Assets and Liabilities and the Limits for Exemption of Assets in Filing Returns) Rules, 2014 and all the amendments made thereto have become redundant.
3. The Lokpal and Lokayuktas (Amendment) Act, 2016, as referred to above, substitutes the provision of section 44 of the Principal Act by the following new provision:-
“44. On and from the date of commencement of this Act, every public servant shall make a declaration of his assets and liabilities in such form and manner as may be prescribed.”
4. Thus, under the Public Servants (Furnishing of Information and Annual Return of Assets and Liabilities and the Limits for Exemption of Assets in Filing Returns) Rules, 2014 there is no requirement for filing of declarations of assets and liabilities by public servants now. The Government is in the process of finalising a fresh set of rules. The said rules will be notified in due course to prescribe the form, manner and timelines for filing of declaration of assets and liabilities by the public servants under the revised provision of the said Act. All public servants will henceforth be required to file the declarations as may be prescribed by the fresh set of rules.
(Rakesh Kumar)Online GST Certification Course by TaxGuru & MSME- Click here to Join
1. All Secretaries to the Govt. of India (as per standard mailing list)
2. All Chief Secretaries of State Governments
3. All Administrators of the Union Territories
Copy for information and with a request for similar action, forwarded to:
(i) Secretary General, Lok Sabha
(ii) Secretary General, Rajya Sabha
(iii) Comptroller and Auditor General of India
(iv) Secretary, Election Commission of India
Copy also to:
EO(PR)/Direc (CS.1)/Deputy Secretary (CS.II), DoPT