Changing the name of a company is a significant step that requires adherence to certain procedures and regulations. Whether it is due to a rebranding strategy, change in business focus, or any other reason, the process should be followed diligently. Here is a detailed guide on how to apply for and complete the name change process for a company.
1. Application for Reservation of New Name:
- Apply through the MCA V3 portal under Company e-filing > Incorporation services > Form RUN (Application for change of name of an existing company).
- Only two names are allowed to be provided for the change of name.
2. Attachments of Form RUN:
- Copy of Board Resolution: Attach a copy of the board resolution approving the name change.
- No Objection Certificate (NOC): If the proposed name is similar to an existing company, include an NOC from that company.
- Changes in Objects: If there are changes in the objects of the existing company, clearly mention the new objects in the Board Resolution.
- Trademark NOC: If any word in the proposed name is a registered trademark or has an application for trademark registration, provide a NOC for its use.
3. Validity of Approved Name:
- The approved name shall be valid for 60 days from the date of approval for an existing company.
4. Filing of Forms with ROC:
- Form MGT-14: File Form MGT-14 with the Registrar of Companies (ROC) within 30 days of passing the special resolution. Mention the SRN (Service Request Number) of Form RUN in Form MGT-14. Attach a certified true copy of the special resolution along with the explanatory statement. Optional attachments may also be included.
- Form E-MOA and Form E-AOA: Fill out Form E-MOA and Form E-AOA separately as linked forms. These forms were earlier attached to Form MGT-14.
- Form INC-24: File Form INC-24 (Intimation for change of name) within 30 days of approval of Form MGT-14. Mention the SRN of Form MGT-14 in Form INC-24. Attach the minutes of the General Meeting where the special resolution was passed. Optional attachments may also be included.
5. Certificate of Change of Name:
- After receiving approval of Form INC-24, a Certificate of Incorporation reflecting the change of name will be generated.
It is essential to carefully follow the prescribed procedures and submit all required documents within the specified timeframes to ensure a smooth name change process for a company. Seeking professional advice or assistance from a company secretary or legal expert can help navigate the process more efficiently.