Analysis of Union Budget 2017 provisions of Income Tax Service Tax Excise Duty Custom Duty with Budget Highlights Commentary Speech, Notification, News & Articles.
Deduction in respect of interest on loan taken for residential house property(Section 80EE):
Vide Finance Act 2013, an individual is allowed a deduction upto a limit of Rs 1,00,000 being paid as interest on a loan taken from a Financial Institution, sanctioned during the period 01-04-2013 to 31-03-2014 (loan not to exceed Rs 25 lakhs) for acquisition of a residential house whose value does not exceed Rs 40 lakhs. However the deduction is available if the assessee does not own any residential house property on the date of sanction of the loan.
Please Note :-
1. The Deduction is available for two years i.e. for A.Y. 2014-15 & A.Y. 2015-16.
2. Total Deduction which can be claimed in Both years in aggregate is Rs. 1,00,000/-.
3. Deduction U/s. 80EE is in addition to deduction Under Section 24. So if an assessee is paying interest on Self Occupied Property Purchased during A.Y. 2014-15 of Rs. 2.40 Lakh , he can claim interest up to 1.50 Lakh under section 24 and balance 0.90 lakh U/s. 80EE. Assessee can claim the balance deduction of 0.10 Lakh in Assessment Year 2015-16.
Extract of Section 80EE as per finance Act,2013 :-
Deduction in respect of interest on loan taken for residential house property.
80EE. (1) In computing the total income of an assessee, being an individual, there shall be deducted, in accordance with and subject to the provisions of this section, interest payable on loan taken by him from any financial institution for the purpose of acquisition of a residential house property.
(2) The deduction under sub-section (1) shall not exceed one lakh rupees and shall be allowed in computing the total income of the individual for the assessment year beginning on the 1st day of April, 2014 and in a case where the interest payable for the previous year relevant to the said assessment year is less than one lakh rupees, the balance amount shall be allowed in the assessment year beginning on the 1st day of April, 2015.
(3) The deduction under sub-section (1) shall be subject to the following conditions, namely:—
(i) the loan has been sanctioned by the financial institution during the period beginning on the 1st day of April, 2013 and ending on the 31st day of March, 2014;
(ii) the amount of loan sanctioned for acquisition of the residential house property does not exceed twenty-five lakh rupees;
(iii) the value of the residential house property does not exceed forty lakh rupees;
(iv) the assessee does not own any residential house property on the date of sanction of the loan.
(4) Where a deduction under this section is allowed for any interest referred to in sub-section (1), deduction shall not be allowed in respect of such interest under any other provisions of the Act for the same or any other assessment year.
(5) For the purposes of this section,—
(a) “financial institution” means a banking company to which the Banking Regulation Act, 1949 (10 of 1949) applies including any bank or banking institution referred to in section 51 of that Act or a housing finance company;
(b) “housing finance company” means a public company formed or registered in India with the main object of carrying on the business of providing long-term finance for construction or purchase of houses in India for residential purposes.