Cancellation/Surrendering of TAN can be done in two situations;

CASE 1- Where duplicate TAN has been allotted;

CASE 2 – Where TAN allotted, is not required anymore by the assessee/deductor.

In CASE – 1, the deductor has to approach the NSDL for cancellation of the ‘Duplicate –Unused TAN. For this, an application Form, which is applicable for ‘Changes & Correction of TAN’ needs to be used. The same can be downloaded from the NSDL website and is also available with TIN-FCs/other vendors. The application can be made online as well as in physical form. In this way, the ‘Duplicate TAN can be cancelled.

In Case 2, the deductor has to make an application with the jurisdictional A.O. (TDS), on a plain paper, requesting for cancellation of TAN and state reasons for such a request.


Cancellation Procedure Prescribed by NSDL

In case duplicate TAN has been allotted, which TAN should be used?

In case duplicate TANs have been allotted, the TAN which has been used regularly should be used. The rest of the TANs should be surrendered for cancellation using “Form for Changes or Correction in TAN” which can be downloaded from the website of NSDL (

The TAN can be cancelled by following procedure:

  1. Go to
  2. Download the form “Form for Changes or Correction in TAN”
  3. Fill up properly and indicate TAN numbers you want to cancel in point 6 of the Form.

What do we have to do if we have been allotted a duplicate TAN by oversight?

In case duplicate TAN has been allotted, an application may be made for cancellation of the TAN which has not been used in the “Form for Changes or Correction in TAN” which can be downloaded from the website of NSDL ( or printed by local printers or obtained from any other source. The application is also available at TIN Facilitation Centres.

Posted Under

Category : Income Tax (20858)
Type : Articles (10773)
Tags : TAN (58)
  • Parthiv

    Hi..I have applied for TAN number but now I want to cancel the same.what is the process?

  • Pd

    Anybody please help me…Actually I had applied for TAN number bemote 2 days. Now I don’t need to create any TAN number. I will get TAN numbers in few days but I don’t want the same or want to cancel the n what Ishe the process? Need expert ‘s advice pls.