Income Tax Department has notified the file format (data structure) for preparation of Annual Information Returns. Filers can prepare the AIR as per the file format using in-house software or any other third party software or the return preparation utility developed by NSDL (AIR RPU) and submit the same to any of the TIN-FCs established by NSDL or directly upload through the NSDL-TIN website.
The AIR RPU is a freely downloadable software. It is an MS-Excel based utility.
• AIR RPU (ver 1.6)
Feedback Form for AIR
Guidelines for usage of this utility are provided in the excel file itself. The user is advised to read these guidelines before the utility is used to prepare the returns. Users may ensure that they download the latest version of the utility at the time of preparation of returns.
Users may pass the AIR file generated using AIR RPU through the File Validation Utility (AIR FVU) to ensure format level accuracy of the file. This utility is also freely downloadable from NSDL-TIN website.
In case the AIR file contains any error(s), user may rectify the same in the excel file itself. After rectifying the errors, user may again pass the rectified AIR through the FVU. This process may be continued till an error-free return is generated.
Supplementary Annual Information Return
Supplementary AIR is required to be prepared in accordance with the file format notified by ITD.
Filers are free to use any software purchased from software vendors or developed in-house in order to prepare their Supplementary AIR. Alternatively NSDL Supplementary AIR Preparation Utility can be used for the preparation of Supplementary AIR.
• AIR RPU (ver 2.01) for Supplementary Information
File Validation Utility for AIR
1. Once the return has been prepared as per the file format, it can be verified using the File Validation Utility (FVU) provided by NSDL.
2. The e-AIR FVU is a Java based utility. JRE (Java Run-time Environment) [versions: SUN JRE: 1.4.2_02 1.4.2_03 1.4.2_04 IBM JRE: 220.127.116.11 should be installed on the computer where the e-AIR FVU is being installed. Java is freely downloadable from http://java.sun.com and http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/java/jdk or you can ask your vendor providing computer facilities (hardware) to install the same for you.
3. The AIR FVU (ver 1.3.6) installation files are packed in a zip folder AIR FVU.exe. The folder should be unzipped using the instructions contained in AIR FVU Extract Readme.rtf
4. To install the FVU, after extraction of the setup file, read the instructions contained in file AIR FVU Setup Readme.rtf
5. Once the setup is over, AIR FVU can be invoked by clicking on AIR FVU.bat
6. When AIR FVU.bat is clicked one screen appears, which asks for Input file name and Error File Path.
o Input file name can be entered or may be selected using the browse option.
o At Error File Path, path should be provided where FVU should generate the Error/Response file. Here also browse option can be used. If the input file i.e. the AIR file prepared as per the data structure has any error, FVU will generate an error file at the specified path. This should be checked and errors notified should be rectified.
o When all the errors have been rectified, FVU shall generate an upload file (extension being .FVU) upon validation at the same path. This file should be submitted to any TIN-FC as per specified procedure.