CA Rachana Kanoi
1. Person responsible for tax deduction :-
Any person responsible for paying any sum to a resident transferor by way of consideration for transfer of an immovable property (other than agricultural land in rural area) is liable to deduct tax at source u/s 194-IA.
2. Time of deduction :-
At the time of payment or credit, whichever is earlier.
3. Rate of TDS :-
TDS to be deducted @ 1% of the sum paid. However, TDS needs to be deducted @ 20%, if the deductee does not furnish PAN.
4. Threshold Limit :-
No tax is deductible where the consideration paid or payable for the transfer of an immovable property is less than Rs. 50,00,000/-.
5. Other points:-
- Provisions of TAN as prescribed u/s 203A shall not apply in respect of tax deducted u/s 194-IA.
- Immovable property means any land, building or part of building. Such property may be situated in India or outside India.
- TDS provisions of section 194-IA shall apply only if the transferor is resident in India.
- TDS provisions of section 194-IA shall not apply if a person acquires rural agricultural land in India.
6. Online Payment of TDS through challan cum statement on Form 26QB through NSDL Website:-
Tax so deducted should be deposited to the Government Account through any of the authorized bank branches using the e-Tax payment option available at NSDL E-payment within a period of seven days from the end of the month in which the deduction is made and shall be accompanied by a challan-cum-statement in Form No. 26QB.
Steps to Pay Tax Online
- Log on to NSDL-TIN website (www.tin-nsdl.com) or Alternatively person seeking payment of TDS on sale of Property can also use the following link - https://onlineservices.tin.nsdl.com/etaxnew/tdsnontds.jsp
- Under TDS on sale of property, click on the option “Online form for furnishing TDS on property”.
- Select Form for Payment of TDS on purchase of Property- Click on the option “TDS on sale of property’.
- Select Financial Year from the drop down for which payment is to be done.
- Select Tax applicable for which payment is to be done.
- Mention PAN of Transferee/Buyer
- Mention PAN of Transferor/Seller
- Re-enter PAN of Transferee/Buyer
- Re-enter PAN of Transferor/Seller
- Provide Complete address of Transferee/Buyer
- Provide Complete address of Transferor/Seller
- Provide Complete address of Property transferred
- Mention the date of Agreement/Booking of property
- Mention the Total value of consideration (Property Value)
- Mention if the above payment is done in Lump sum or in Installments
- Please select the amount paid/credited (Enter the amount paid to the Transferor/Seller)
- Please enter the TDS rate (Tax rate at which the TDS was deducted by the purchaser at the time of purchase of the property)
- Please enter the TDS amount to be paid (amount deducted by the purchaser at the time of purchase of the property)
- On proceed, confirmation page is displayed to verify the details entered
- If all the above detail including the name displayed (as per ITD) is correct then, click on “SUBMIT” button
- In case you have made a mistake in data entry, click on “EDIT” to correct the same.
- On confirmation, nine digit alpha numeric Acknowledgment number would be generated
- To do the required TDS payment, please click on ‘Submit to the Bank’ button
- On clicking on Submit to the Bank, deductor will have to login to the net-banking site with the user ID/ password provided by the bank for net-banking purpose.
- On successful login, enter payment details at the bank site.
- On successful payment a challan counterfoil will be displayed containing CIN, payment details and bank name through which e-payment has been made. This counterfoil is proof of payment being made.
7. Important Points to be Noted:-
a) Threshold limit of Rs. 50 Lacs will be applicable to each & every property separately.
b) Property can be either of residential or official purpose.
c) Purchaser can be a dealer, user of the property or a salaried employee.
d) TDS certificate must be issued to the deductee in Form 16B within 15 days from the due date of deposit of TDS.
e) The deductee shall be entitled to avail credit for the entire amount of TDS deducted during the financial year in its Return of Income.
f) TDS u/s 194-IA shall be deducted even if the transaction takes place before 1st June, 2013 and payment is made after 1st June, 2013.
g) However, if credit to the account of the transferor has been given before 1st June, 2013 then provisions of section 194-IA will not apply, even if payment has been made after 1st June, 2013. (Payment or credit whichever is earlier)
h) In case of under construction properties, TDS will be required to be deducted on installments paid on or after 1st June, 2013, if the aggregate purchase consideration is more than Rs. 50 Lacs. Thus, no TDS is required to be deducted in respect of installments paid before 1st June, 2013.
i) In case any installment becomes due before 1st June, 2013 but paid after 1st June, 2013 and the transferee has not credited the same to the account of the transferor before 1st June, 2013, then provisions of section 194-IA shall apply and TDS will be deducted on the amount paid after 1st June, 2013.
j) In case of installment system of payment, TDS is required to be deducted on all such installments individually which fall due after 1st June, 2013 but only on principal portion and not on the interest or penalty portion.
k) In case the property is partly financed by bank then TDS will be required to be deducted by the transferee on the entire amount of consideration.
l) The threshold limit of Rs. 50 Lacs is with reference to each property. If a property transaction involves more than one buyer and share of each buyer in the property is less than Rs. 50 Lacs but the value of the property in aggregate is more than Rs. 50 lacs then provisions of section 194-IA will be applicable. In such case, TDS will be deducted and deposited by each buyer in respect of their respective share in the property.
m) Similarly, in case of a property transaction involving more than one seller, TDS will be deducted in respect of amount paid to each seller and their respective PAN will be quoted while making payment through Form 26QB.