New Changes in TDS Rules related to due date for furnishing TDS return/Certificate, inclusion of receipt number in TDS certificate and Requirement of filing form No. 24G by government companies
New Changes in TDS Rules
CBDT Press Release No. 402/92/2006-MC (27 of 2010), dated 2-6-2010
The Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT) have amended the Rules relating to TDS provisions date and mode of payment of tax deducted at source (TDS), TDS certificate and filing of ‘statement of TDS’ (TDS return) vide Notification No. 41/2010; SO No. 1261(E) dated 31.05.2010. The amended rules will apply only in respect of tax deducted on or after 1st day of April 2010.
Forms for TDS certificate have been revised to include the receipt number of the TDS return filed by the deductor. Now the Tax-deduction Account Number (TAN) of the deductor, Permanent Account Number (PAN) of the deductee, and Receipt number of TDS return filed by the deductor will form the unique identification for allowing tax credit claimed by the taxpayer in his income-tax return.
Government Authorities (Pay and Accounts Officer or Treasury Officer or Cheque Drawing and Disbursing Officer) responsible for crediting tax deducted at source to the credit of the Central Government by book-entry are now required to electronically file a monthly statement in a new Form No. 24G containing details of credit of TDS to the agency authorised by the Director General of Income-tax (Systems).
Due date for furnishing TDS return for the last quarter of the financial year has been modified to 15th May (from earlier 15th June). The revised due dates for furnishing TDS return are
|Sl. No.||Date of ending of the quarter of the financial year||Due date|
|1.||30th June||15th July of the financial year|
|2.||30th September||15th October of the financial year|
|3.||31st December||15th January of the financial year|
|4.||31st March||15th May of the financial year immediately following the financial year in which deduction is made|
Due date for furnishing TDS certificate to the employee or deductee or payee is revised as under :
|Sl. No.||Category||Periodicity of furnishing TDS certificate||Due date|
|1.||Salary (Form No.16)||Annual||By 31st day of May of the financial year immediately following the financial year in which the income was paid and tax deducted|
|Quarterly||Within fifteen days from the due date for furnishing the ‘statement of TDS’|
- Download Latest Form 16, 16A, 27D, 24G in Excel Format for A.Y. 2011-12
- Income-tax (Sixth Amendment) Rules, 2010 – Substitution of rules 30, 31, 31A, 31AA, 37CA and 37D; Form Nos. 16, 16A and 27D; insertion of Form No. 24G and omission of rule 37A
- Summary/Analysis of recent CBDT amendment of rules relating to TDS/TCS Applicable from 01.04.2010
- New Changes in TDS Rules related to due date for furnishing TDS return/Certificate, inclusion of receipt number in TDS certificate and Requirement of filing form No. 24G by government companies
- Summary of Recent Amendments in TDS rules vide Notification No. 41/2010 Applicable from 01.04.2010