- Friday, October 1, 2010, 6:59
- Income Tax
What are the different statuses of a challan in the TDS/TCS statement?
The following are the various statuses of challans in a TDS/TCS statement:
- Booked: Challan / transfer voucher detail in the statement matches with corresponding details received from banks / PAO.
- Match Pending: Corresponding challan details not received from the bank.
- Match Failed (Challan): TAN and/or amount relating to a challan in the statement do not match with the corresponding details received from banks.
- Match Failed (Transfer Voucher): Amount relating to a transfer voucher does not match with corresponding details received from PAO.
- Provisionally Booked: In case of Government deductors where TDS/TCS statement is received by TIN and mode of payment of TDS/TCS is through book entry (transfer voucher) and e-TBAF details from PAO is not received by TIN.
What is the significance if the status of challan is ‘Booked’?
- If the challan is in Booked status, credit of tax deducted will be reflected in the annual tax statement (Form 26AS) of all the underlying deductees with a valid PAN.
- Correction in challan details is not allowed once a challan is booked. Correction can be made on underlying deductee records of a booked challan.
What should I do if the status of challan is Match pending?
- A challan is in Match pending status as the CIN is not present in the payment information provided by the Bank. As a result the credit of tax deducted will not be reflected in the Form 26AS of corresponding deductees with valid PAN.
- The possible cause could be due to error in quoting CIN details (Challan serial no., BSR code and challan tender date) either in the TDS statement or in the details provided by the Bank. Error in TDS statement can be rectified by filing a correction statement, where as error.
What should I do if the status of challan is in status ‘Match failed’?
- A challan is in Match failed status as the TAN/challan amount in the statement does not match the details provided by the Bank. As aresult the credit of tax deducted will not be reflected in Form 26AS of corresponding deductees with valid PAN.
- The possible cause could be error in quoting challan amount. The same can be rectified by filing a correction statement.