GOVERNMENT OF INDIA
DEPARTMENT OF REVENUE
DIRECTORATE OF INCOME – TAX (RECOVERY)
6th Floor , Mayur Bhawan, Connaught Circus, New Delhi- 110001
Ph . No . 23414395 , Fax No. 23412749 & 23417681
Email : email@example.com
F. No. 1(153)/DIT(R)/I.T. Demand Cate./2015-16/1704 Dated: 15.02.2016
All the Pr. CCsIT/CcsIT & DgsIT
Sub:- Guidelines on the procedure to be followed for seeking information from Financial Intelligence Unit-India (FIU-IND) and confidentiality to be maintained in handling such information-reg. –
Kindly refer to the above mentioned subject.
As you are aware , FIU-IND is an intelligence organization under Ministry of Finance and provides information to designated agencies as per the established protocol of sharing of information. Information is provided by FIU-IND under section 66 of the Prevention of Money Laundering Act, 2002.
2. It has been informed by the FIU-IND that it i s in receipt of numerous letters and notices under section 133(6) , of Income Tax Act from various field units of CBDT calling for information regarding bank accounts , assets etc . of the assessees which are required for re covering tax arrears.
3. Financial Intelligence Unit-India ( FIU-IND ) is the designated authority under Prevention of Money laundering Act , 2002 ( PMLA ) to receive information from different reporting entities . Accordingly , it has a database of , interalia , bank accounts and transactions therein , transaction in securities , insurance premium paid on policies etc.
4. FIU – IND shares information spontaneously and on request basis with , inter alia CBDT under Section 66 of PMLA. Also , Central Board of Direct Taxes ( CBDT) and FIU-IND have executed Memorandum of Understanding ( MOU) for exchange of information . On the basis of these , Income Tax Authorities under CBDT can seek information from FIU-IND for both domestic bank accounts etc as well as those from foreign countries . Such information may be extremely useful for recovery from bank accounts hitherto unknown to Income Tax Authorities or bringing to tax the transactions that might have been done through undisclosed bank account(s).
5. It is seen that while sending requests to obtain information from FIU-IND a simple letter by the AO/TRO/CIT is sent to this office without filling in & signing the Annexure I & II prescribed as per CBDT letter dated 29.09. 2011 . The copy of letter of CBDT dated 29.09.2011 is enclosed herewith vide which t he procedure for seeking information from FIU-IND has been prescribed. The field authorities may be directed to go through this letter and Annexure I & II which are to be filled in and signed by the concerned Pr. CIT.
6. It is reiterated that requests to FIU-IND may be made on l y through this Directorate as the FIU-IND will not entertain direct requests from the Field Authorities/Officers .
7. It may be noted by all Income Tax Authorities in field formation that information received f r om FIU-IND is confidential and utmost confidentiality must be maintained in handling and with respect to custody of such information. I t should be protected from unauthorized use and proliferation. The information received from F I U-IND , domestic as well as foreign , needs to be treated as intelligence and the same be further developed by the department’s own investigation . Accordingly , FIU-IND will not be mentioned as the source of information in any place or occasion or document like assessment order / correspondence etc , except when required by a competent court of law.
8. This is issued with the prior approval of the Competent Authority
Encl. : As above .
Joint DIT (Recovery)