Recently I faced a situation where the tax demand on regular assessment of my client for A.Y 2008-09 was deposited with a nationalized bank but wrongly the said payment of demand was done towards A.Y 2010-11. This situation may have been faced by many assessees because there may always a possibility of mentioning wrong Assessment year or wrong PAN/TAN etc in the TDS Challan or in Income Tax Challans. 

In such situation the first thing that comes to mind is how one can get the challan corrected after the payment of tax so that right credit of tax is given to the assessee/deductor concerned. The power to amend such wrong details in challan after payment of tax in OLTAS has been given to Assessing officer and Bank depending upon the type of correction, which has been provided as follows for the benefit of all concerned.

NSDL receives tax collection data as uploaded by the bank. It is not authorized to carry out any changes in the data sent by the bank to TIN.

The fields that can be corrected and the entity authorized to carry out corrections are as below:

Sl. No.Type of Correction on ChallanPerformed By
1PAN/TANAssessing Officer
2Assessment YearAssessing Officer
3Major HeadAssessing Officer /Bank
4Minor HeadAssessing Officer
5Nature of PaymentAssessing Officer
6Total AmountBank

Thus application should be made for correction to the A.O or Bank in case of any mistake in Income Tax/TDS Challan depending upon the type of correction as mentioned above.


(Author – Amit Bajaj Advocate, Bajaj & Bajaj Advocates, 128, Sangam complex, Milap chowk, Jalandhar City (Punjab), Email:, M +919815243335)

More Under Income Tax

Posted Under

Category : Income Tax (20867)
Type : Articles (10811)
Tags : Advocate Amit Bajaj (196)
  • Vinay Ruparel

    I have made TDS payment by mistake TAN no. entered wrong. What is the procedure to change TAN

Search Posts by Date