• Mar
  • 30
  • 2015

10 lesser known Income Tax Deductions

Article ID 51384 | Posted In Income Tax | , | 40 Comments » Print Friendly and PDF

CA Sandeep Kanoi

CA Sandeep KanoiWe all know about the popularly know deductions like deduction u/s. 80C & 80D. But many times we use to forget to claim many other deductions which are available under the Income Tax Act, which can reduce our tax burden significantly. In this article we discussed 10 such lesser know deductions which taxpayers tend to forget to claim while filing there Income Tax Return.

1. Set off of Capital Loss Against Capital Gain

While most of us know that we need to pay taxes on short term or long term capital gains, not many are aware of the fact that capital losses, if any, can be balanced off against gains. So, for instance, if you have made a long-term capital gain of Rs 15 lakh by selling off your property and long-term capital loss of Rs 3 lakh by selling stocks which are either not listed or are sold off market  , the total taxable amount would Rs 12 lakh.

Please note Capital Gain on Sale of Shares sold through Stock Exchange can not be set off against other capital gain as profit from sale of shares of listed companies through stock exchange in exempt.

It is important to note that short term losses can be balanced off against both short term as well as long term capital gains. However, long term capital losses can only be balanced off against long term capital gains.

Read more – Carry Forward and Set Off of Losses – Income Tax

2. Deductions under section 80GG in respect of rent paid :Deduction to the extent of Rs 2,000 per month or 25 per cent of total income (whichever is less) is available under Section 80GG of the I-T Act in respect of rent paid by an individual on his accommodation, provided the individual does not get any house rent allowance.

Read More on this – Section 80GG Deductions – For rent paid

3. Medical treatment of specified ailments under section 80DDB:-Deductions of expenses on medical treatment of specified ailments (such as AIDS, cancer and neurological diseases) can be claimed under Section 80DDB. The maximum amount of deduction allowed from gross total income is restricted to Rs 40,000 (which goes up to Rs 60,000 if the age of the person treated is 60 years or more) on condition that no medical reimbursement is received from any insurance company or employer for this amount.

In order to claim this deduction, however, you will have to submit Form 10-1 from a specialist doctor working in a government hospital in India, confirming the treatment of the disease.

Read More on section 80DDBDeduction under section 80DDB with FAQ

4. Deduction under section 80U for Person with disability:-Under Section 80U of the Act, an individual who is certified by the prescribed medical authority to be a person with disability shall be allowed a deduction of Rs 50,000 and an individual, who is certified as a person with severe disability, shall be allowed a deduction of Rs 75,000. W.e.f. 01.04.2010 this limit has been raised to Rs. 1 lakh.

Read More on Deduction Under Section 80U – Deduction U/s. 80U for disabled persons

5. Charitable deductions under section 80G: Deduction is also available under Section 80G of the I-T Act in respect of donations made by an individual to certain funds, charitable institutions and so on. There is no restriction on the amount of charity.  The rate of deduction, however, is either 50 or 100 per cent, depending on the choice of trust. Also, donations must be made to registered institutions only.This includes any amount contributed to a recognised political party. It can be claimed as a deduction under Section 80GGC (80GGB for corporates). This is a new deduction and was introduced in April 2010.   Donations to institutions involved in scientific research or rural development get exemption under Section 80GGA.  The donation can also be made to an electoral trust that works for conducting elections. Interestingly, unlike other deductions, there is no ceiling on the amount that can be claimed as deduction. Of course, this doesn’t mean one can claim deduction for cash payments. The deduction is available only if the sum goes into the party coffers. The quantum of deduction depends on the nature of the organisation. For instance, money given to certain establishments, such as the National Defence Fund, the Prime Minister’s National Relief Fund and the Chief Minister’s Relief Fund enjoy 100% deduction.On the other hand, NGOs such as Child Rights and You, Helpage India and the National Children’s Fund give you only 50% deduction. So, it’s a good idea to find out how much deduction is available before you write out a cheque. However, you cannot use this route to evade tax by bringing down your income tax slab. There is a ceiling on the deduction a taxpayer can claim in a year. The quantum of deduction is limited to 10% of the gross total income of the donor. Also, only cash donations are taken into account. Donations of food, clothes and medicines do not qualify for such a deduction.

Read more on Deduction Under Section 80G – Deduction U/s. 80G of Income Tax Act, 1961 for donation

6. Interest on loan taken for higher education & vocational courses. :- Taxpayers also tend to forget that the interest paid on an education loan taken for higher studies or vocational curses qualifies for deduction under Section 80E of the I-T Act. Also, effective April 1, 2008, the said deduction is also available where the loan is taken for the purpose of higher education of spouse or children of the individual or the student for whom the individual is a legal guardian. Thus, if you have taken a loan for higher education, don’t forget to make your claim. Also remember that the deduction benefit on interest is allowed for maximum eight years, or till the interest is fully paid.

Read more on Deduction Under Section 80E – Education Loan – The Mantra to Save Tax under section 80E

7. Interest paid on a second home loan is fully deductible :-  The tax benefits of a home loan are well known. Under Section 24b, one can claim a deduction of up to Rs 2 lakh a year for the interest paid. If the taxpayer buys a second house through another home loan and gives it on rent, the entire interest paid on the home loan during a given year can be claimed as deduction.  If you have more than one house, any one is deemed to be rented out. So the interest income on the home loan for that house can be claimed entirely for deduction, provided the rental income or deemed income is taxable.

Taxability of second House under Income Tax Act,1961

8. HRA as well as home loan benefits:-

If you took a home loan and are still living in a rented place, you will be entitled to:

  1. Tax benefit on principal repayment under Section 80C
  2. Tax benefit on interest payment under Section 24
  3. HRA benefit

Of course, you can claim tax benefits on the home loan only if your home is ready to live in during that financial year. Once the construction on your home is complete, the HRA benefit stops. If you took a home loan, got possession of the house, have rented it out and stay in a rented accommodation, you will be entitled to all the three benefits mentioned above. However, in this case, the rent you receive would be considered as your taxable income.

House Rent Allowance (HRA) Taxability & calculation

9. Save tax through your family – Simplest way of saving tax is by investing through parents, parent in laws, wife and children. If you invest in the right instrument, the rate of return may be higher as well. Here is how we can save tax through our family members. Read Following Post for more details :- Tax Planning- Save tax through your family

10. Repairs and maintenance of house property – You will never forget to claim deduction of interest on repayment of your home loan, but not many people know that any interest paid on home loan for reconstruction or repair of the “house property” qualifies for deduction of up to 30,000, subject to the overall limit of 2,00,000. – Also Read- All about Income from House Properties

(Republished with amendments)

  • raghupathy

    I am paying regularly for short term courses like advanced excel., strategic management., marketing management etc., total out flow of funds per annuam works out to rs.75000., can I get tax benefit for amount spent.
    pls advice.

  • Rohit Doshi

    Good and useful information

  • piyush

    i am having income 5 72000, interest of home loan is going to be worked out at rs 131800, medicalim 11590, and full 80 c limit (1,50,000/).
    now what to do to save tax

  • Rani reddy

    Dear sir

    I have rental income since 2007. And this is the only earning form for me , and few interest by FD’S
    My question is
    1) 2014 -2015 financial year I did not earn any rental income from my commercial property
    2) I have paid property tax
    3) so will this tax amount can be claimed during my income tax returns . As this year I had no income from rents
    Please advice .
    Thank you

  • Rawal Singh bhati


    Not allow, stamp duty will be part of your property. You just add it to cost

  • Ashish Boundia

    Can we claim Stamp Duty and Registration Charges under 80C for under construction property ?

  • abirami

    Really it is creating awareness about tax deduction…and it is very useful.

  • Uttam Gupta

    Very nice

  • Uttam Gupta

    Very nice.
    very useful informations.

  • Uttam Gupta

    Very nice
    informations are very useful.

  • A H Poonawala


  • CA. Subhash Chandra Podder

    Exceptionally Good write up.

  • ranesh kumar

    thanks for your kind information


    SIR ,



    hi,I already have two home loans and I am purchasing third property then my questions are
    1. Can I claim interest portion of third property for deduction?
    2. Is the bank issue interest certificates for claiming the deduction?
    3. Is the interest rates are same for fist, second and third property?
    Please help me.

  • parminder khaira

    can i deduct the recovary RS 48805 FOR 2014 TO 2015 FROM MY INCOME RETURN

  • Indra Gunasekaran

    We have home loan of Rs.14 lakhs and the interest we paid is higher than our taxable income. We rented out our vacant land for tower and we get Rs.15750 after TDS deduction of Rs.1750. Shall we deduct this for the interest paid on housing loan ?

  • Vinay Arora

    Child has undergone HEART surgery. Can this surgery charges be claimed for Rebate under u/s 80 DDB ?? Or under any section ?

  • Manish Dwivedi

    Please Review sec 80 DDB and Advice that Can I claim for amount

    Spend on My Mother under ” Blindness and Vision Problem ”

    Cornea Replaced in One Eye As that Eye was having Totally Zero Vision .

    Manish Dwivedi

  • V. Shreenivasan

    I am a Government servant in receipt of HRA Rs.7,746/- p.m., subject to Tax Deduction at Source from my salary (I have no other income). During FY 2013-14 ending 31.03.2014, my expenditure on house rent would amount to Rs. 1,10,000/- paid through Cheque. My landlord has not so far issued me rent receipt. Can I claim rent paid in excess of 1/10th of my salary (Pay + DA), as it is less than HRA received, on the basis of copy of the lease agreement as well as copy of my bank passbook showing debits of monthly rent and name of the payee (landlord).

  • Ashok Kumar Kanunga

    any amount/expenditure made towards REPIARS repair and reconstruction of house is eligible for I.T deduction.?

  • MCVashishta

    Rs.10000/- can be claimed u/s 80TTA for interest on saving bank account.

  • S S Gupta

    Sir very much useful information

  • V Sivaraman

    One more: for persons who claim 80U [Physically handicapped] the Transport allowance [u/s 10(14)(ii)] deduction is 1600/= pm against 800/= for common man:-)

    CA v. Sivaraman


    cogratulation for such type of information


    very usefulto regain the knowledge


    I dont have any home loan. However I would like to take loan to repair my house. Do I get any interest benefit from that loan??

  • T.Hafsath

    some doubts remaining. whether the actual value of NSC or Infrastructure bonds
    can be deducted under sec.80c?

  • Kajal

    Really its so useful…Thanks..

  • ramesh tavadare

    Very Good.Thanks for your helpful article.

  • Ashiwani Maheshwari

    It is so good information. We have no deeply knowledge of All these deduction.

  • TSV Diwakar

    Very good information. In fact you have given this information in right time.

  • p,c,somasekharan

    exceelent. very useful

  • Narendra

    I have owned a house property 5 years back for which i am paying EMI. At present my house is undere reconstruction and i am resiging in a rented property. Can I claim both EMI & HRA.

  • Dinesh Garg

    Very good and informative

  • BB Gupta

    At work place I am residing ion Company provided accomodation and family is staying with kids in another city and paying Rent. My own house is ready in 3rd city. Can I claim all 3 benefits?

  • bongo

    i dont pay IC tax directly and it is so simple. since i didnt vote for the government, i dont pay them any thing, BUT i pay all kinds of taxes in the form of vat, tds, octoi, cess, stamp duty,toll,road tax etc etc, so that the government tries to take care of the country,( but you can see they have failed miserably) Tax and re taxed on everything from food i eat in the restaurants, to the bus and train i travel in , to the drinking water i buy from the shop .wow…i Pay more than my calculated income tax even in this way…shucks…The government got me again.

  • M.R.Sahdev

    Very informative, thanks

  • SK

    Please refer to Point No. 7:
    ”  If you have more than one house, any one is deemed to be rented out. ”

    As far as i know, when an assessee holds more than one property in his name and both the houses are occupied by the assessee,, any one house at the option of assessee can be termed as deemed to be let out.

    Interest paid or payable on such deemed let out property is fully available as deduction without any limit.

  • amod kumar gupta

    Very good