Telecom Ministry vide notification No. G.S.R. 436(E) dated 22.04.2016 mandates Panic button in new mobile handset w.e.f. 1st January, 2017 and GPS in new mobile hand set w.e.f. 1st January, 2018. Relevant Notification is as follows :-
MINISTRY OF COMMUNICATIONS AND INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY
(Department of Telecommunications)
New Delhi, the 22nd April, 2016
G.S.R. 436(E).—In exercise of the powers conferred by sub-section (1) read with clause (v) of sub-section (2) of section 10 of the Indian Wireless Telegraphy Act, 1933 (17 of 1933), the Central Government hereby makes the following rules, namely:-
1. Short title and commencement.—(1) These rules may be called the panic button and Global Positioning System facility in all mobile phone handsets Rules, 2016.
(2) They shall come into force on the date of their publication in the Official Gazette.
2. Definition.-In these rules, unless the contexts otherwise requires,-
(a) “Feature phone” means a mobile phone handset that incorporates features such as the ability to access internet and store and play music but lacks the operating system feature of a personal computer;
(b) “GPS” means the Global Positioning System which contains a satellite-based navigation system that provides location and the time information in all weather conditions, anywhere on or near the earth where there is an unobstructed line of sight to four or more Global Positioning System satellites.
(c) “Smart phone” means a mobile phone handset with an advanced mobile operating system, which combines features of a personal computer operating system with other features useful for mobile or hand held use;
3. Panic button in new mobile handset.- With effect from the 1st January, 2017, no mobile phone handset manufactured company shall sell in India,-
(a) the Feature phones without the facility of panic button by pressing “Numeric key – 5” or “Numeric key – 9” to invoke emergency call; and
(b) the Smart phones without the facility of emergency call button by pressing the same for long time to invoke emergency call or the use of existing power on or off button, when short pressed thrice in quick
4. GPS in new mobile hand set.- With effect from the 1st January, 2018, no mobile phone handset manufactured company shall sell the new mobile phone hand set in India without the facility of identifying the location through Satellite based GPS.
[F. No. 16-04/2015-AS-III]
P. K. MITTAL,
Dy. Director General (AS-I)